GPA: slight downward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff0106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm slightly concerned about my GPA's downward trend. I'm on a 5 year engineering track with coop and as I have gotten into my engineering courses my GPA is starting to decrease.

Freshman year- 4.0
Sophomore year- 3.83 (2 B's this year)
Junior Year first semester- 3.75 (3 B's and 2 A's this semester)

My BCPM GPA is 3.84 and is pretty much going to stay around there assuming I do well in Genetics + lab and Biochem 2 (I did get a B in Biochem 1, so I'm a little worried about Biochem 2. I hate memorizing all those complex catalytic mechanisms and then regurgitating them on tests).

My main concern is under my current trend, I will have a 3.63 at the end of Spring '11 which is when I'm applying. My BCPM will be at 3.8. The good news I guess is that I'm only taking 12 hours over my next 4 semester so I should hopefully get a few A's in my engineering classes as opposed to the B's I typically get so hopefully it won't be as low as 3.63. I just wish engineering courses were as easy as the BCPM classes.

Main question, will this trend look that bad?

Also for my biology classes, I AP'd out of first semester general biology and am not taking second semester general biology. Instead I am taking cell biology and genetics. Both with lab. Is this a problem? Most schools just say 1 year of biology plus lab so I was hoping any biology would be good.

Go GaTech!

Members don't see this ad.

When your overall GPA is competitive, small differences in GPA year by year won't be microanalyzed. I think you'll be fine.

Some schools let you substitute other bio courses with lab for the Bio requirement, but aothers specify that you have credit for the Introductory sequence of Biology as offered by your school. You may need to call your favored schools to be sure the substitution is acceptable.

I agree with Catalystik; also, engineering degrees are typically seen as harder than basic science degrees, so that'll give you a leg-up hopefully.