GPA trashed first two years, chances? On track now.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffdoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I go to a four year public university. I am 20 years old, my major is chemistry and I am minoring in mathematics. This will be my junior year going into college in the fall. I partied a lot the first 2 years in college, and my GPA suffered a lot. I have made up my mind and have decided to buckle down and do whatever it takes to succeed now.

My GPA: 90 credits @ 2.79......( I want to point out I got a 3.1 last quarter, 4.0 this quarter (only 1 class taken), and plan on doing well from now on)
Key Grades: Chem 121: B
Chem 122: B-
Chem 123: C
Bio 204: B
Bio 205: C+
Chem 351: B-
Phys 121: C+
Phys 122: B
My Extracurricular's:I have over 150 hours of volunteer service at the hospital. I also volunteer at local elementary school's every week to mentor children. I have started shadowing doctors, I am on the board for a school club, I play sports through my university, this year I also plan on getting involved in undergraduate research. I have also had part time jobs in the fast food and computer software industry.

My main question is what are my chances considering I get 3.7+ gpa every quarter from now on. What are my chances in getting into a medical school or an optometry school as I am both pre-med and pre-optometry. Please help, I have finally buckled down and decided what I want to do in life. I just hope it is not too late. Please be honest with me as well, I want the truth not something to make me feel better. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I go to a four year public university. I am 20 years old, my major is chemistry and I am minoring in mathematics. This will be my junior year going into college in the fall. I partied a lot the first 2 years in college, and my GPA suffered a lot. I have made up my mind and have decided to buckle down and do whatever it takes to succeed now.

My GPA: 90 credits @ 2.79......( I want to point out I got a 3.1 last quarter, 4.0 this quarter (only 1 class taken), and plan on doing well from now on)
Key Grades: Chem 121: B
Chem 122: B-
Chem 123: C
Bio 204: B
Bio 205: C+
Chem 351: B-
Phys 121: C+
Phys 122: B
My Extracurricular's:I have over 150 hours of volunteer service at the hospital. I also volunteer at local elementary school's every week to mentor children. I have started shadowing doctors, I am on the board for a school club, I play sports through my university, this year I also plan on getting involved in undergraduate research. I have also had part time jobs in the fast food and computer software industry.

My main question is what are my chances considering I get 3.7+ gpa every quarter from now on. What are my chances in getting into a medical school or an optometry school as I am both pre-med and pre-optometry. Please help, I have finally buckled down and decided what I want to do in life. I just hope it is not too late. Please be honest with me as well, I want the truth not something to make me feel better. THANKS!
I think you're going to need at least two years full time to bring that GPA up to a respectable level. And a great MCAT score.

Consider DO schools if you want to get things done faster. You can make use of the grade replacement policy.

Do you have any institutional actions or criminal problems?

I think you're going to need at least two years full time to bring that GPA up to a respectable level. And a great MCAT score.

Consider DO schools if you want to get things done faster. You can make use of the grade replacement policy.

Do you have any institutional actions or criminal problems?

No, I have never had any criminal problems or institutional problems. My lowest gpa ever in a quarter was a 2.3. So you think it is very possible to make it to a DO school? Im talking about a respectable US one, not the Caribbean. But an upward trend should help a lot, shouldn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I have never had any criminal problems or institutional problems. My lowest gpa ever in a quarter was a 2.3. So you think it is very possible to make it to a DO school? Im talking about a respectable US one, not the Caribbean. But an upward trend should help a lot, shouldn't it?
Of course it's possible. It's possible to get in to an MD school too (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=786735 and http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=10116 for GPA success stories for MD applicants, and here for a bunch of DO success stories http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=736438)

It also depends on your state of residence too, since a lenient state school is always the best bet.

If you pursue DO schools, then you should go back and retake all of the classes you got C's in (and get A's this time). That will turn around your GPA fast.

As long as you don't look back (and revert to old habits), you can do anything. And in the meantime, keep up your EC's. In a couple years, you'll be a great candidate

awesome so with decent mcat scores and a 3.2 or 3.3 gpa (assuming I get my grades up now) with the extracurricular's I have should get me into atleast one DO school in the US right? possibly MD? What about optometry school though? Isn't that a little easier?

Last edited:
anybody else want to give me their opinion? I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. Im getting my life straightened out and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

anybody else want to give me their opinion? I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. Im getting my life straightened out and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

don't worry, take your time, and do it right.
I graduated UG in 2004 with a 3.3c/2.9s... got an MS in Neuroscience with a 3.6, MCAT 28. took 2 yrs off, became an EMT, worked, and applied in the last yr my MCAT was good for (ps... I took the last paper-based MCAT if that tells you how long my road was).

I went when I was ready. To show for it, I scored 95 percentile on boards and am in top 5%. it can happen, just dont give up/get frustrated if it takes you longer than you expected

Please help, I have finally buckled down and decided what I want to do in life. I just hope it is not too late. Please be honest with me as well, I want the truth not something to make me feel better. THANKS!

I really hope this doesnt come off as condescending, but you're 20.

You have plenty of time.

Take a deep breath.

Noone other than you can reassure you that you're doing the right thing for you. If you're questioning this path, then you really owe it to yourself (and the people who you might treat in the future) to take the time to explore your options further.