GPA trend question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boardgal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reading! I apologize if this isn't the right place for me to ask this question.

I just had a quick question about GPA trends. I have a great GPA from my first 5 semesters (4.0). However, this semester I think I took on too much (research and part time job) and my grades are suffering. It might end up at a 3.3 this semester. I know Med Schools like to see upward trends so I was just wondering if this semester is going to hurt me. (Especially considering its my last semester before I apply this summer). I also may be freaking out a little right now too. I could cut back on the hours at my job, but I need it to pay for school, etc so I would rather not. Thanks so much for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where you are applying and what the rest of your application looks like.

I'm a TN resident and applying to all the schools in Tennessee (including Vandy). I also am looking at Univ of Minnesota and Penn State and am open to anywhere else. I have about 150 hours of research at the med center and your average shadowing and volunteering. My MCAT practice tests have been low 30s. Thanks so much!

I'm in FL, so I can't comment about schools outside of where I am, but as far as stats go, take a look at the MSAR info for the schools you are interested in, and that will give you a great idea of how competitive you are. I know at my school that they are willing to forgive slips in GPA, especially if you are having to work to support yourself. I think a lot of it is going to depend on if the 3.3 is for the semester, or is cumulative. If it's for the semester it probably won't be as big of an issue.

I would suggest getting your letters of recommendation in order soon, and staring to work on your personal statement. It is only going to help you if you get your AMCAS in early. And do well on the MCAT!