Aug 11, 2016
So I failed calc the summer between my freshman and sophomore year, retook between sophomore and junior year and got a B (not good I know) but I understand that both grades will be factored into my GPA. My GPA without the failed class is 3.5 and with the F is 3.3 and science 3.4 vs 3.1. My question is do you think that they'll see me as a 3.5 student who had one bad class or just as a 3.3 student? I know there are many other factors but does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

schmoob

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
They will see you as a 3.3 student, there is no grade replacement.
Don't stress it though. You may get asked about it, but I assure you that you will not be the first person to enter dental school having failed 1 course.
Best of luck!

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

DrLTD

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
3.3 but just make sure that you have so many other stellar areas on your application that they don't even bother asking about your calculus mishap! Good luck!

JLT223

Dental Student
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status
Dental Student
US dental schools do not offer grade replacement.

OP
K
Aug 11, 2016
I know that my GPA will say 3.3 but do you think that I will have a better chance of getting into a program with an average GPA of 3.5+ than someone who had a 3.3 without the failed course? I mean its an obvious outlier. I have a definite upwards trend in my GPA (~3.7 junior year). Also, how is it worth applying late, like December late, to bring up my GPA a little bit more?

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I know that my GPA will say 3.3 but do you think that I will have a better chance of getting into a program with an average GPA of 3.5+ than someone who had a 3.3 without the failed course? I mean its an obvious outlier. I have a definite upwards trend in my GPA (~3.7 junior year). Also, how is it worth applying late, like December late, to bring up my GPA a little bit more?
Don't apply that late it won't help that much. We have no grade replacement; they'll average those grades together ;(. Nice junior year though! How's your DAT?

OP
K
Aug 11, 2016
Don't apply that late it won't help that much. We have no grade replacement; they'll average those grades together ;(. Nice junior year though! How's your DAT?
Thank you! I'm actually just switching to dentistry so I have not taken the DAT yet and I haven't fully decided. I know I'll have to score pretty high to make up for my GPA.
P.S. sweet DAT scores! I hope your application/admissions process goes smoothly! :)

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
My GPA is similar to yours. I'm counting very heavily on my DAT to get me a spot haha. Thanks for the good wishes :). If I get any interviews/acceptances i'll be sure to let you know haha. Feel free to talk to me whenever you want.