1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

GPAs....

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tp709, May 3, 2007.

1. tp709

What is more important in admission - the science gpa or the BCP gpa??? How are science gpa/bcp weighted in relation to non-science gpa?

Thanks!! I'm a n00b with this..:)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Both are important. I was told though that BCP is looked at JUST as strongly as overall GPA. One school told me that they take Cum, BCP, DAT and give you a score individually for each of these to choose those they want to interview.

4. blasterx

Just curious which school this was. Do you mind sharing?

5. dentalgrl

Pre-Dental
    As for the Science GPA's and BCP GPA's, does anyone know if the BCP means ANY bio course that you've taken, including upper level bio courses?

Also, does math go into anything? If not, wouldn't the science GPA and BCP gpa be the same?...the only class I think that would go into science and not bcp is nutrition. (psych 001 doesn't count for either I don't think, correct me if i'm wrong!)

Thanks!

6. wackiezackie82

wackiezackie82 My Idol

Pre-Dental
    The AADSAS application has help/FAQ sections to look this stuff up.

BCP Courses (Biology, Chemistry and Physics Courses)
    [/SIZE]. Examples: Anatomy
    Biology
    Biochemistry
    Biophysics
    Botany
    Chemistry
    Genetics
    Medicine
    Microbiology
    Neuroscience
    Pathology
    Pharmacology
    Pharmacy
    Physics
    Physiology
    Zoology

Other Science Courses (Other science courses that do not fall under the categories of Biology, Chemistry or Physics)

Examples: Agriculture
    Animal Sciences
    Astronomy
    Clinical Sciences
    Nutrition
    Engineering
    Health Technology
    Geology
    Kinesiology
    Mathematics
    Physical Sciences
    Plant Sciences
    Sports Sciences

Non-Science Courses (Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Services and miscellaneous courses)

Examples: Anthropology
    Art
    Behavioral Sciences
    Business
    Communications
    Dental Hygiene
    Economics
    Education
    English
    Foreign Languages
    Forensic Sciences
    History
    Humanities
    Music
    Physical Education
    Political Science
    Psychology
    Public Affairs/Administration
    Public Health
    Social Sciences
    Sociology
    Social Work
    Speech
    Sports Administration

7. dentalgrl

Pre-Dental
  8. tp709

So they don't use science gpa in that specific formula to come up with the score?

9. ddhm

i once attended a presentation given by a university of chicago med school admissions officer. just to be clear, this was for med school admissions but the same might hold true for dental admissions.

anyhow, he said that they, along with many other schools, screen applicants by using a formula. they basically multiplied you cum gpa by 10, then added it to your numerical total mcat score. so eg, an applicant with a 3.5 gpa and 35 mcat would be rated as 70.

according to him, any combination of gpa+mcat that results in at least 70 would make you a very strong candidate across most med schools. and those with scores approaching 75 had their pick of the very top schools.

this was for med schools, to remind you again. but maybe there's a similar process with dental admissions.

10. Mstoothlady2012

Dental Student
    what do you guys think about my GPA...

Overall - 3.245

BCPM - 3.274

BCP - 3.0

i have not taken DAT yet...I am getting really worried...my GPA has gone down so much because of my ORG classes...i got D in Org I & C in Org II...i am retaking Org I during summer (using grade forgiveness from our school)...but i am not going to retake Org II...

are my chances very little? what am i suppose to do?i am going to take 3 classes during summer....gen chem (5), Org I (3), & ceramics I (3)...total 11 credits...might be able to pull up my GPA a little bit but not a lot...& since i am going to use grade forgiveness for Org I...my D will disappear ...but i think it still shows up on AADSAS application...oh god i am panicing now!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

11. jigabodo

Dentist

Dentist
    I think you still stand a reasonable chance if you apply early and do well on DAT. Your GPA is not bad, imo, it is just slightly below average. Be careful with the repeat course though, AADSAS does factor both grades in. I got a F in Math freshmen year and it is still haunting me now. With just one F my GPA dropped from 3.37 (school transcript) to 3.30.

Anyways, good luck!

12. Mstoothlady2012

Dental Student
    thnx!

13. Mstoothlady2012

Dental Student
    No other comments on my GPA??? :rolleyes:

14. fyi
    schools judges you by your overall performance. 1 grade will not put u over other people or put u below other people. they will see if you can handle the dental school curriculum and do well in them. they will see if you can improve on your weaknesses or a person who gives up on their failures. they will see if you can balance your school with extracurricular activities. they also want applicants that are well rounded and not just book smart. They dont want an einstein who just read books all day and get As. I got both Cs in Organic Chemistry classes and they told me i am a good applicant. I did good on DAT and improved alot so im not even worried a bit on those scores.....

15. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    The BCP from what I heard is more important than the overall science. I heard this from a school in NY.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
  18. vlun

vlun Junior Member

What happens if your gpa was brutal in your first degree (because of poor planning), and really good in your second undergrad? (total, 8 years of completion) . I'm really worried.

19. dental school really like that