GPT-4 and medical research apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spikebd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m sure many of you have asked GPT-4 medical questions. The overall results are incredible, and I wanted to see what AI apps everyone was testing out thus far.

GPT-4 is the most well known

Dr. Gupta from Martin Shkreli is another (it is very similar to GPT-4)

I just found DrOracle which is cool because it uses a Research Assistant “Metaoracle” and actually pulls numerous references.

Have any of you tried any other apps you’ve had good experience with? Are they any better than plain old uptodate?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for sharing. I'm playing around with these. One more I'll throw in there is www.consensus.app - they seem to have some attention for finding papers with AI somehow.

I asked a question about a fairly recent research in the field of PD/Dermatology:

"What is the relationship between parkinsons and fungal skin disease?"

Dr.Gupta:
There is no direct relationship between Parkinson's disease and fungal skin diseases. However, it's worth noting that people with Parkinson's disease may have a higher risk of developing certain skin conditions due to factors such as impaired immune function, reduced mobility, or side effects of medications used to manage the disease.

ChatGPT
While these two conditions are distinct and unrelated in terms of their direct causes and symptoms, it's important to note that people with Parkinson's disease, like anyone with a weakened immune system, might be more susceptible to fungal infections due to the compromised immune response that can occur with advanced Parkinson's or due to the medications used to manage the disease. Prolonged bed rest, immobility, and poor hygiene could also contribute to an increased risk of fungal infections.

Consensus.app
No results found

DrOracle.ai
Parkinson's disease (PD) and fungal skin disease have been studied to understand any potential relationship between the two conditions. Recent research has suggested that seborrheic dermatitis, a type of fungal skin disease, may be associated with an increased risk of developing PD. In fact, seborrheic dermatitis may even precede the diagnosis of PD, similar to other early signs such as smell loss, REM behavior sleep disorder, and constipation. However, it is important to note that while some studies have shown improvement in seborrheic dermatitis with the initiation of L-dopa therapy in PD patients, other studies have not found such improvement. Therefore, further investigation is needed to fully understand the connection between seborrheic dermatitis and PD.

So it looks like only DrOracle.AI got the question right. I also got an insanely detailed answer from research mode, wow.

Reactions: 1 users
Openevidence.com

Parkinson's disease (PD) has been associated with various dermatological disorders, including fungal skin diseases.[1] Seborrheic dermatitis, a common skin condition that can be caused by the yeast Malassezia, is frequently associated with PD.[2] A study found a positive correlation between PD, seborrheic dermatitis, and the incidence of Malassezia globosa, suggesting that the increased sebum excretion ratio in PD patients may stimulate yeast replication and enzyme production, contributing to the severity of seborrheic dermatitis.[2]
Moreover, research has suggested a potential link between the presence of systemic microbial infections, including fungi, and the pathogenesis of PD.[3] The study found evidence of mixed microbial infections, including fungi, in the central nervous system of PD patients, suggesting that these infections could contribute to or be a risk factor for PD neuropathology.[3]
However, it's important to note that while these associations exist, the exact relationship and underlying mechanisms between fungal skin diseases and PD remain unclear and require further investigation. The presence of skin conditions in PD patients does not necessarily imply a causal relationship, and these skin conditions could be a consequence of PD, its treatment, or a shared underlying pathophysiological mechanism.
References
Collapse
Parkinson's Disease and Skin.
Niemann N, Billnitzer A, Jankovic J.
Parkinsonism & Related Disorders. 2021;82:61-76. doi:10.1016/j.parkreldis.2020.11.017.
Highly Relevant
A Laboratory-Based Study on Patients With Parkinson's Disease and Seborrheic Dermatitis: The Presence and Density of Malassezia Yeasts, Their Different Species and Enzymes Production.
Arsic Arsenijevic VS, Milobratovic D, Barac AM, et al.
BMC Dermatology. 2014;14:5. doi:10.1186/1471-5945-14-5.
Highly Relevant
Parkinson's Disease: A Comprehensive Analysis of Fungi and Bacteria in Brain Tissue.
Pisa D, Alonso R, Carrasco L.
International Journal of Biological Sciences. 2020;16(7):1135-1152. doi:10.7150/ijbs.42257.
Highly Relevant
Top Journal

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing openevidence.com

The ones that pull reference articles are more useful IMO.

Thank you for sharing. I'm playing around with these. One more I'll throw in there is www.consensus.app - they seem to have some attention for finding papers with AI somehow.

I asked a question about a fairly recent research in the field of PD/Dermatology:

"What is the relationship between parkinsons and fungal skin disease?"

Dr.Gupta:

ChatGPT

Consensus.app

DrOracle.ai

So it looks like only DrOracle.AI got the question right. I also got an insanely detailed answer from research mode, wow.
I also got the pretty incredible results with research mode from DrOracle.ai

Better than the others mentioned so far, but I’m curious what other ones are out there.

Thank you for sharing OpenEvidence, that's a good one!

For reference I'll paste DrOracle's Research mode answer, since I just posted the general mode previously

Introduction: Parkinson's disease (PD) is a neurodegenerative disorder characterized by motor symptoms such as tremors, rigidity, and bradykinesia. However, PD is not limited to motor symptoms and can also present with non-motor symptoms, including dermatological disorders. Fungal skin diseases have been implicated in the pathogenesis of PD, and this essay aims to explore the relationship between PD and fungal skin disease using information from the provided abstracts.
Discussion: A comprehensive analysis of fungi and bacteria in brain tissue from PD patients revealed evidence of mixed microbial infections in the central nervous system (CNS), including the presence of fungi such as Botrytis, Candida, Fusarium, and Malassezia. This study provides strong support for the concept that mixed microbial infections contribute to the neuropathology of PD (PMID:[1]). Another study investigated the association between PD and Malassezia, a lipophilic fungus that causes seborrheic dermatitis (SD). The researchers found a strong association between PD and SD, suggesting that Malassezia may directly contribute to PD (PMID:[2]). This study provides evidence for the potential role of Malassezia in PD etiology. Furthermore, PD patients have been found to have an increased risk of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers compared to the general population. This suggests a possible link between PD and skin cancers (PMID:[3]). Additionally, PD patients may be predisposed to other skin disorders such as seborrheic dermatitis, bullous pemphigoid, and rosacea (PMID:[4]).
Objective Data: - In the study on mixed microbial infections in PD patients, specific fungal species identified in the CNS included Botrytis, Candida, Fusarium, and Malassezia (PMID:[1]). - The study on the association between PD and Malassezia reported an increased PD risk following an SD diagnosis (OR = 1.69, 95% CI 1.36, 2.1; p < 0.001) (PMID:[2]). - PD patients have an increased risk of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers compared to the general population (PMID:[3]).
Conclusion: The provided abstracts suggest a potential relationship between PD and fungal skin disease, particularly with the presence of Malassezia. Mixed microbial infections, including fungal species, have been found in the CNS of PD patients. PD patients also have an increased risk of skin cancers, including melanoma. Further research is needed to fully understand the mechanisms underlying the association between PD and fungal skin disease.

References:​

1. Parkinson's disease and skin. (Parkinsonism & related disorders)
    2. Bacterial, viral, and fungal infection-related risk of Parkinson's disease: Meta-analysis of cohort and case-control studies. (Brain and behavior)
    3. Parkinson's Disease: A Comprehensive Analysis of Fungi and Bacteria in Brain Tissue. (International journal of biological sciences)
    4. <i>Malassezia</i> and Parkinson's Disease. (Frontiers in neurology)
    5. Parkinson's Disease and Its Dermatological Associations: Is Your Skin Whispering You a Diagnosis? (Cureus)
    6. The particular relationship between Parkinson's disease and malignancy: a focus on skin cancers. (Journal of neural transmission (Vienna, Austria : 1996))

I also found this: https://elicit.org

seems pretty good at using AI to find papers, does not consolidate answers like the ones on this thread though. But still useful.

Reactions: 1 user