Grad assistant coach and dpt?

Started by Val33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Val33

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys this is my first post so bare with me. I play division 1 softball and will be applying to DPT programs for the 2016 cycle. I've always wanted to be a grad assistant coach while doing the program and am getting ready to send massive amounts of emails to different coaches at different universities. Then I thought... Is this even possible? Does anyone have any experience with this ....will there be room in my schedule ? I know a bunch of my friends do grad assistant coaching but none are dpt.
 
This is a rare cases and I nor my friends do it, but it seems really hard to pull off. No surprise that DPT will consume your life, but so will a GA Coach position. I have a hand full of friends at Stanford doing GA coaching, and also SJSU doing it. They talk about 60-70 hour work weeks and little pay if any. They love it, but they said it is hard on finances, travels, and other commitments until you gradhate with a full-time position at that school for coaching. If you're going for you DPT, it doesn't sound like you are looking at coaching as a career.
 
Hey guys this is my first post so bare with me. I play division 1 softball and will be applying to DPT programs for the 2016 cycle. I've always wanted to be a grad assistant coach while doing the program and am getting ready to send massive amounts of emails to different coaches at different universities. Then I thought... Is this even possible? Does anyone have any experience with this ....will there be room in my schedule ? I know a bunch of my friends do grad assistant coaching but none are dpt.

there are many semesters where you will be in class from 8:00-5:00, so unless your practices occur prior to or after that, it is not likely possible.
 
there are many semesters where you will be in class from 8:00-5:00, so unless your practices occur prior to or after that, it is not likely possible.
Not to mention travel for games and tournaments. Honestly, one of my coworkers struggles just to juggle a HS assistant coaching position with a 7-3 work schedule. I don't think collegiate coaching is going to give the flexibility you'll need OP.