Jun 25, 2014
New York City
Status
Pre-Dental
Good evening everyone,

I graduated from college 3 months ago and immediately started working at a fast-growing yet small startup. I initially thought that I would work the standard 9-6 and would have the time to study for the DAT. However, I find myself working more like 9-7 and am "on call" some nights. Additionally, my 1 - 1.5 hour commute each way is draining me. As a result, I am struggling to find time studying.

FYI, I haven't began studying, and my exam is January 30th. I laid out a study plan but don't know how effective or smart it will be because I'm not able to study consistently and the way my subjects are spaced don't seem too great. I'd really like some advice on what you think of my study plan.

So, here it is:

From now until November 1st
  • Study Biology 1 hour Monday-Saturday - I would just go over content with Cliffnotes and review review review until I get the contents down. I might even start doing some Destroyer questions near the end.
  • Study Gen Chem/Orgo 4-5 hours every Sunday - I would watch Chad's on the weekends and review the material during the weekdays. My studying for Gen Chem/Orgo is happening after I finish off Bio so I'm going to squeeze in an hour or two each week to review Bio so it remains fresh.
From November 1st to January 30th
  • Activate Bootcamp and use Bootcamp and Destroyer for the next 3 months to practice all sections. Hopefully by this time, I will have covered all contents for Gen Chem, Orgo, and Bio. Like before, I would also only have an hour or so during weekdays and Saturday and maybe a couple more during Sundays
  • I need to find time to review Math and do practice tests
*I'vee laid this out in my Google Calendar, so if anyone can take a look and give feedback, that'll be great.

If I really can't find time to study, I might actually even leave my job early November so I have 3 months to study full-time.

What do you think?

Edit: Also, how many ADA practice tests exist? I found one that I have to pay for online and a booklet of sample questions

Aug 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I would recommend Ari's from boot camp 10 week study schedule. I found it to be useful cause you can sort of cross things off the list and keep yourself more motivated that way:) there's only 2 tests from the ADA, 2007 and 2009.

OP
SnappleCapFacts
Jun 25, 2014
New York City
Status
Pre-Dental
Sigh...just worked from 8:30am to 12:am with a 30 min lunch and an hour dinner....with no over time pay and no time for studying or other personal things....

Sorry just needed to vent and be needy...goodnight!

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I hear ya! I graduated from college a few months ago too. I'm trying to juggle shadowing, work, post-bacc classes, and other personal responsibilities while finding time to study for the DAT as well. However, you seem to be in a much tighter position than I am. Hopefully I can be prepared enough by December (haven't officially scheduled a date, but that's the target month for me). I think leaving your job to study full-time will be the ideal solution since it's eating away most of your day. After a long day at work and a long commute afterwards, the last thing I'd want to do is get nose-deep into the books so I understand. We can do it!
:highfive:

cacajuate

5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2012
Status
Sigh...just worked from 8:30am to 12:am with a 30 min lunch and an hour dinner....with no over time pay and no time for studying or other personal things....

Sorry just needed to vent and be needy...goodnight!

You need to think about if you want to be a dentist or work for the start up. Doesn't sound like both are going to work.

OP
SnappleCapFacts
Jun 25, 2014
New York City
Status
Pre-Dental
You need to think about if you want to be a dentist or work for the start up. Doesn't sound like both are going to work.
I of course want to do dentistry. However, there is always the possibility that I don't get into school, and in that case, I would need something to fall back on.

kvirk

7+ Year Member
May 16, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Just curious what did you major in? And what is your job?

Jun 23, 2015
I majored in psychology (more neuroscience based) and I do operations at a tech company.
What's the pay like? I'm also a psych grad (doing an informal post-bacc) but if the pay isn't up to par, it's probably worth finding something else tbh.

My job is basically glorified babysitting for kids and adults with developmental/intellectual disorders but the pay is decent imo ($17/hr, gas comp, insurance, etc) for a very low stress/flexible job where I can decide how many hours I want to work and when I want to work. I wouldn't work your schedule unless I was making $40+/hr, so in case I didn't get into D school, I would at least be set for life lmao.

Oh yeah and get this man, a lot of the parents of the kids I help want their kids to get out and volunteer, so sometimes I spend the majority of my shift with them volunteering. Can you say killing two birds with one stone?;)

Last edited: