Grad Student Malpractice Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

For current grad students, I am wondering how many of you carry personal malpractice insurance and if you think it is necessary. I have debated picking up the insurance offered through APA for a while now, but have been told by supervisors in my program that it is unnecessary since I am working under a licensed psychologist supervisor. In the Ethics Desk Reference (I happen to be reading for Legal and Ethics) it does say that supervisors typically accept full responsibility for the clinical work of their supervisees.

Anyway, what do you think, is it worth carrying malpractice insurance as a graduate student who is working under a supervisor? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

For current grad students, I am wondering how many of you carry personal malpractice insurance and if you think it is necessary. I have debated picking up the insurance offered through APA for a while now, but have been told by supervisors in my program that it is unnecessary since I am working under a licensed psychologist supervisor. In the Ethics Desk Reference (I happen to be reading for Legal and Ethics) it does say that supervisors typically accept full responsibility for the clinical work of their supervisees.

Anyway, what do you think, is it worth carrying malpractice insurance as a graduate student who is working under a supervisor? Thanks!

I honestly never thought about such insurance, given the point you described regarding licensed supervision. In fact, I don't know any clinical psychology graduate student who carries this. Now I'm wondering how common a practice this is?

I remember a couple posters on here saying they carried it, though I do not recall whom. I am going to throw out the name JockNerd but I am probably wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
never that i've heard of. grad students i know dont even think about it. we're being supervised and part of that means that decisions are deferred to the licensed psychologist and so to does responsibility.

We're required to carry it, though to the best of my knowledge no one has ever used it. I don't know the exact situations in which you would also be held liable alongside the faculty member, but with the US legal system, anything is possible.

Its just $35 a year through APA, so however unlikely it might be I don't consider it a big deal.

We're required to carry it, though to the best of my knowledge no one has ever used it. I don't know the exact situations in which you would also be held liable alongside the faculty member, but with the US legal system, anything is possible.

Its just $35 a year through APA, so however unlikely it might be I don't consider it a big deal.

Same here. And even if we weren't required to carry it, I probably would carry it anyway. $35 isn't much and people are so creative with their lawsuits these days I'd rather be protected even if there is only a super teeny chance I might need it.

Same here. And even if we weren't required to carry it, I probably would carry it anyway. $35 isn't much and people are so creative with their lawsuits these days I'd rather be protected even if there is only a super teeny chance I might need it.

They've never mentioned it at my program. I wonder if the school carries coverage for its students?

This is just a myth. If you have the insurance you are more likely to be sued, because lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. If you're not required, and you have a relatively modest net worth, then insurance is only going to make it more compensation to sue your trainer and you together. So not only do you increase the NPV (business degree lingo sorry) on yourself, but also to your trainer.

Don't do it unless you have thought about it and its what YOU decide.