Grade Replacement - Need Quick Answer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brumz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I took a class (non-science) as an undergraduate and failed it.
I have already graduated, but need to retake the class in order to bring up my GPA for DO admissions (One failing grade dropped my GPA by 0.1 points, which is considerable in my opinion.)

I signed up for the class as a non-degree seeking graduate student, but the grading scale at my school said something weird (Cross-Career: No Earned Hrs or GPA) so I called the registrar's office and they explained to me that the grade will show up on my transcript, but it will be marked as "no credit earned."

Does AACOMAS care that I earn the credits for the course, or will the fact that I retook the course and got a grade be good enough for them to accept the grade replacement?

If they would not accept that, I have one other option I could try. The course is a combined 4xx/6xx udergraduate/graduate course. I could sign up for the graduate 600-level course if they would allow me to use that as a grade replacement. It's the same course, it's just combined graduate and undergraduate levels. (That's common at my university, not sure about others.) I'd just rather retake the undergraduate course because it's considerably cheaper.

Anyways, I need to know really soon here because I need to pay for my class.
Thanks for all your help, SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

Does AACOMAS care that I earn the credits for the course, or will the fact that I retook the course and got a grade be good enough for them to accept the grade replacement?
You should definitely ask AACOMAS that question. Even if someone on SDN knows the answer, it would be best to hear it from AACOMAS so you know for sure. That's a pretty important decision to make.

If I had to speculate, I'd say that they would probably accept the new grade as long as the course is exactly the same. The whole "no credit earned" thing looks really fishy though, so definitely ask AACOMAS about that one.

I could sign up for the graduate 600-level course if they would allow me to use that as a grade replacement. It's the same course, it's just combined graduate and undergraduate levels.
That should work fine. As long as the credit hours are the same and the descriptions are similar, AACOMAS should allow you to count that as the last repeat for your other class.

You should definitely ask AACOMAS that question. Even if someone on SDN knows the answer, it would be best to hear it from AACOMAS so you know for sure. That's a pretty important decision to make.

If I had to speculate, I'd say that they would probably accept the new grade as long as the course is exactly the same. The whole "no credit earned" thing looks really fishy though, so definitely ask AACOMAS about that one.

That should work fine. As long as the credit hours are the same and the descriptions are similar, AACOMAS should allow you to count that as the last repeat for your other class.
Thanks.

The reason it's like that is because my university has a grade replacement policy where, if you retake the course while you are still an undergrad, it will cancel out the other grade. However, once you graduate, that's there for good. Even if you retake the course after you graduate, the university doesn't count it.

Thanks for your advice. I will contact them. Do I do it through [email protected]?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thank you. :):thumbup:

Does anybody know how long it generally takes them to reply?
Like I said, I kinda need a quick answer because I have to make a decision really soon.

Okay, thank you. :):thumbup:

Does anybody know how long it generally takes them to reply?
Like I said, I kinda need a quick answer because I have to make a decision really soon.

Sometimes within a few hours. Sometimes within the next day. They're pretty quick, but their answers are really brief.

Good enough for me!

Thanks people of SDN! I really couldn't do any of this without this great resource!

For anyone curious, here's the answer from AACOMAS:

The guidelines for repeat courses are:
1. Both courses need to be on the same level (undergraduate/graduate)
2. The credit hours for the repeat course needs to be equal or greater than that of the initial course
3. The content needs to be the same or similar

So now I'm off to see if there's anything I can do at my university. (yeah right :thumbdown: )

I'm wondering if you'll be ok because the credits are the same, you'll just not be earning them. It's not like you are taking a four credit bio versus a three credit

I'm wondering if you'll be ok because the credits are the same, you'll just not be earning them. It's not like you are taking a four credit bio versus a three credit
I'm hoping.

I went to the registrar's office and talked with a supervisor there. She said that the course will show up on my transcript, along with the number of credits that the class is and the grade I received in the class, but that the course will have an indicator next to it saying that the course is not calculated in my undergraduate GPA or in my list of undergraduate credits. So, basically, I retook the course and earned the grade, but it doesn't affect my GPA or number of credits for my university's undergraduate degree, which is fine by me as long as AACOMAS will count it. But I can't be sure since they said in their email that they didn't have any more advice than that the course needed to meet those three requirements listed above.

At this point, it's worth the gamble for me. All of my ducks lined up in a row to allow me to get in the class last minute, and I'm going to go through it and hope for the best. I'm hoping they will allow the grade replacement, but I think in the end it might come down to who is processing my information at AACOMAS HQ and how their day is going at the time, and I won't know before then.

One thing is clear, I won't be retaking any other classes! (Good thing is, I don't have to, most of the rest of my grades are A's and B's with just a few C's)

I'm hoping.

I went to the registrar's office and talked with a supervisor there. She said that the course will show up on my transcript, along with the number of credits that the class is and the grade I received in the class, but that the course will have an indicator next to it saying that the course is not calculated in my undergraduate GPA or in my list of undergraduate credits. So, basically, I retook the course and earned the grade, but it doesn't affect my GPA or number of credits for my university's undergraduate degree, which is fine by me as long as AACOMAS will count it. But I can't be sure since they said in their email that they didn't have any more advice than that the course needed to meet those three requirements listed above.

At this point, it's worth the gamble for me. All of my ducks lined up in a row to allow me to get in the class last minute, and I'm going to go through it and hope for the best. I'm hoping they will allow the grade replacement, but I think in the end it might come down to who is processing my information at AACOMAS HQ and how their day is going at the time, and I won't know before then.

One thing is clear, I won't be retaking any other classes! (Good thing is, I don't have to, most of the rest of my grades are A's and B's with just a few C's)

I'll bet $10 that you'll be fine and it will be considered a retake.

I'll bet $10 that you'll be fine and it will be considered a retake.
I'll take that bet!

Let me get back to you in a couple years when it's time for me to apply! :D

I'm hoping.

I think that's enough for it to count on AACOMAS.

Not to hijack your thread but I didnt want to flood sdn with another thread...quick question. Can you replace a higher level but similar class (I.e. Calculus I for business applied calculus I)?? I have a poor grade in business calc and elementary statistics...

Not to hijack your thread but I didnt want to flood sdn with another thread...quick question. Can you replace a higher level but similar class (I.e. Calculus I for business applied calculus I)?? I have a poor grade in business calc and elementary statistics...

Usually you have to retake it with a similarly named class. The course number doesn't really matter since different institutions number courses differently.

Gonna have to retake "Business Applied Calculus I" specifically.

Oops, didn't mean to bump, sorry.

Last edited: