Kgizzle

7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Is grade replacement frowned upon by Adcoms? Im planning on retaking some classes to raise my AACOMAS gpa to a 3.8-3.9. So if i retake 2-3 classes will it be a big deal?

desijigga

10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Is grade replacement frowned upon by Adcoms? Im planning on retaking some classes to raise my AACOMAS gpa to a 3.8-3.9. So if i retake 2-3 classes will it be a big deal?
Did you fail any of these classes? people usually only retake a class if they have failed it before. Just taking the class again for the sake of raising a 2.5 to 3.5 is a waste of money in my opinion. I failed a class in undergrad, retook it and passed it. I was not once asked on my interview trail about the grade... Up to you though if you feel like you have the time and money to retake classes go for it, personally I wouldn't.

Aug 19, 2010
Status
Ussually most people retake courses if they have grades that are lower than a C- or need to move their gpa above the 3.0 or so mark. But you said your gpa would increase to the 3.8-3.9 range so I'd imagine that your gpa is probably solid enough without retaking any courses...

OP
Kgizzle

Kgizzle

7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2010
Status
yeah wanna erase a couple C's i got. Will the Adcom bring this up if i am fortunate enough to get an interview?

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2010
Where ever I am, I wish I was in Versailles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah wanna erase a couple C's i got. Will the Adcom bring this up if i am fortunate enough to get an interview?
You're serious? You want to retake some Cs that will only adjust your GPA .1 points from a 3.8 -->3.9? If you said 3.0-->3.1, I'd say yes take them, but not where you are...

OP
Kgizzle

Kgizzle

7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2010
Status
You're serious? You want to retake some Cs that will only adjust your GPA .1 points from a 3.8 -->3.9? If you said 3.0-->3.1, I'd say yes take them, but not where you are...
no after retaking those classes and my current A's it will go up to that from a 3.3- to 3.8-.9 im not mad anal like that lol. Im just wondering if they'll be like they grill you on that kind of stuff or is like okay he got an A on the retake he know his stuff no biggie

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2010
Where ever I am, I wish I was in Versailles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AHHHH, ok, now the rest of us are not confused, yes retake the classes if it will improve your gpa that much. I am doubtful they will go after you about it, as in the interviews many times they aren't allowed to see your stats beforehand, some schools are different, but many are "blind". So, that said, retake them, increase your chances, do what you need to do...

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
no after retaking those classes and my current A's it will go up to that from a 3.3- to 3.8-.9 im not mad anal like that lol. Im just wondering if they'll be like they grill you on that kind of stuff or is like okay he got an A on the retake he know his stuff no biggie
How in the world can 2 or 3 classes jump you that much? Were they like 5 unit F's?

DbDan

I like Bones
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Or they could be a sophomore, who hasn't taken that many credit hours yet.
This must be the case. I had 4/5 unit C-/C/C and retaking them to As only brought my GPA from a 2.8->3.0 and that is my sGPA where there is less units...

OP
Kgizzle

Kgizzle

7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2010
Status
This must be the case. I had 4/5 unit C-/C/C and retaking them to As only brought my GPA from a 2.8->3.0 and that is my sGPA where there is less units...
yall are right im starting my junior year this spring...btw dbdan congrats on the acceptance to AZCOM i read your posts from the underdog thread and know you'll do real well in medical school