Grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amint32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN crew. I want to start this thread by stating this might be silly/overreaction but as I finish up this semester(currently a second year) I am worried about one course in particular. Final grades came out for said course and I received a C which is just above passing, thankfully it was just a two credit course but for whatever reason it just didn’t click in my head. In all of my other courses this semester and all of first year I have been fortunate enough to earn mostly A’s and a few B’s. I ran the numbers have noticed this hardly effects my cumulative GPA which is about a 3.8 and change. My question/concern however is how this would look on a transcript, again this might be an overreaction so I apologize if it is and I’m super fortunate to have done well in essentially everything else I just don’t want this look bad when the time comes and am curious to if people residencies etc just look at GPA or individual classes etc. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You're overreacting, friend. :lol:

One 'C' doesn't matter in the long run; but don't make it a habit and keep that GPA high.
I figured as much but just wanted to make sure. I guess this would be a good time to ask what most people look at(I’m sure it varies) but do a lot of programs look at each individual class on your transcript or at least look at for example to see how did in lower ext anatomy or another “big course” or do most just glance and see you checked the gpa box or is it all just kind of an unknown. Just curious..thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured as much but just wanted to make sure. I guess this would be a good time to ask what most people look at(I’m sure it varies) but do a lot of programs look at each individual class on your transcript or at least look at for example to see how did in lower ext anatomy or another “big course” or do most just glance and see you checked the gpa box or is it all just kind of an unknown. Just curious..thanks!
I went over our residency applications with my program director during our break between cases the other day and we barely glanced at transcripts. Maybe a little more for the ones that didn’t clerk with us, but even then it was just to see what their GPA was. When you spend a month with a student you generally figure out and learn what you would be getting with them as a resident. If you kill your clerkship and everyone at the program likes you, GPA becomes way less important. That being said keep that GPA up because there are some programs that really do care a lot about it!

Reactions: 2 users

Agreed with Podstar. A high GPA will allow specific programs to interview you for residency or offer an externship, but your time during the externship months has more weight. The goal of every student should be to learn the material well during school, get the best grades, pass boards on the first try, and match....this entire process is a little easier with a good GPA (3.3+). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all for the info and advice much appreciated!