Grades after Post Bacc. MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EllePostBacc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have read quite a bit on here, but sometimes see conflicting information, and I would like to clarify. As a non trad, assuming excellent extra curricular activities, volunteer, shadowing etc.. is someone with a 3.5 cGPA, and a 3.8 sGPA with a very strong upward trend a candidate for MD schools, or should my focus be on DO schools? Assuming a strong MCAT performance as well... My undergrad GPA was a 3.2 and I raised it 0.3 in postbacc, so I would assume that upward trend is considered strong. I'm trying to decide if I will need to go down the SMP path, take another year of upper level sciences, or apply (MCAT dependent of course).

Also, aside from research, starting a business, starting two volunteer organizations (these came before wanting to go to med school was in the picture, so they're not just things I did to check off a list), and the typical shadowing/volunteer hours, anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, it all hangs in your MCAT in my opinion. Your GPA with a 500, you'll have some work to do. Your GPA with a 509+, you can apply widely and get some bites (I'd say DO and MD... all depends on your geography and specific story, I suppose).

I will say I don't think SMP is the right answer for you in any situation, but others who are more familiar with those programs may have a different answer.

Next steps to potentially apply 2017-18 cycle:
1. line up LORs
2. take MCAT in spring (aka, dedicated study should start soon)

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, it all hangs in your MCAT in my opinion. Your GPA with a 500, you'll have some work to do. Your GPA with a 509+, you can apply widely and get some bites (I'd say DO and MD... all depends on your geography and specific story, I suppose).

I will say I don't think SMP is the right answer for you in any situation, but others who are more familiar with those programs may have a different answer.

Next steps to potentially apply 2017-18 cycle:
1. line up LORs
2. take MCAT in spring (aka, dedicated study should start soon)

Thank you! I have my LORs lined up, and am aiming/headed for a 515. Why do you disagree with SMP??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I have my LORs lined up, and am aiming/headed for a 515. Why do you disagree with SMP??
As far as I understand them, they're for people with low GPAs from undergrad science majors who need to prove that they can hack it with med school-level coursework. It seems like, from your background, you are doing just fine in sciences and your low GPA has consistently been going up during your postbacc. I'm also guessing your undergrad is a non-science, so doing well in the post-bacc shows adcoms that you can do well in sciences (which is the purpose of an SMP).

Reactions: 1 user
recommend doing well on the MCAT and applying both MD and DO. the scrapping of grade replacement sucks, but I assume the GPAs you've listed are for MD so they would now serve for both.

I don't think you need an SMP. also recommend getting as many opinions on your personal statement as possible and pre-writing secondaries for fast turnaround during application season.

Reactions: 1 users
recommend doing well on the MCAT and applying both MD and DO. the scrapping of grade replacement sucks, but I assume the GPAs you've listed are for MD so they would now serve for both.

I don't think you need an SMP. also recommend getting as many opinions on your personal statement as possible and pre-writing secondaries for fast turnaround during application season.

Yes, the GPAs I listed are for MD. I wasn't really a candidate for grade replacement anyway.. I never made below a B, except for one irrelevant class where I made a C+. I will wait for MCAT results of course, but I'm kind of feeling a little discouraged about my chances. I was hoping for a 4.0 sGPA, but ended with a B in one class, which sucked.

@backside_attack

An SMP is too high risk in your opinion and does not touch undergrad GPA? Would you suggest more upper level sciences even for low science GPAs like at a 3.0?

@backside_attack

An SMP is too high risk in your opinion and does not touch undergrad GPA? Would you suggest more upper level sciences even for low science GPAs like at a 3.0?
I don't think I know enough about them to answer that. I will say this: they cost a lot of money. A few of my classmates have done SMP's and complain about the cost. It's also kind of high risk because what are you supposed to do with that degree (glorified master's in pre-med) if you don't get into med school? I've heard them mentioned as "last ditch effort" to get into med school with a low undergrad GPA. There are some that give you a soft guarantee of an interview at a med school or even a soft guarantee of a spot in the med school class, provided you reach X GPA and Y MCAT score. That might help tip the scales away from total risk.

In general, the only way to raise your GPA is through undergrad courses. It looks good to do well in upper-level undergrad science courses and they will directly impact your GPA. Any graduate work does not impact your undergraduate GPA and will be listed separately in AMCAS. Hopefully someone with more information/knowledge of SMP specifics will chime in and help us out.

Yes, the GPAs I listed are for MD. I wasn't really a candidate for grade replacement anyway.. I never made below a B, except for one irrelevant class where I made a C+. I will wait for MCAT results of course, but I'm kind of feeling a little discouraged about my chances. I was hoping for a 4.0 sGPA, but ended with a B in one class, which sucked.

I know the feeling, just fell short of a 4.0 in my own postbac as well. but that strong upward trend is great, and one grade won't make or break your application.

once you have your score, it'll paint a more realistic picture of where you stand.