grades and board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oops.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! ive got a question...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we live in a society where grades DO matter. For residencies you will be competing against others who have achieved similiar board scores, but also achieved 4.0 qpa's or very close to that and are at the top of their respective classes. Residenices are very competitive. There were many students in the class above me that had very good board score along with being very close to the top of their class and they still failed to obtain the residencies they sought.
On the other hand I have spoken to perio and prostho faculty who say grades are not the only determination in selecting a candidate. Research, community service, publishing, board scores etc. can be other factors as to determining your selection. But, then this is perio and prostho. I believe for OMFS, Ortho, and Endo you better have those grades up!

Paws

I've been DREADING just the thought of deciding whether to specialize or not. To be absolutely honest, it is, in my opinion so not worth all the time and restless nights of studying and just emotional stress. However, I also understand how it's beneficial in optimizing a person's options. With residency/specialization being so difficult to get into, it's hard and almost depressing sometimes knowing that you gave it your all and still don't get into a program you want..

Since we're on the topic, I know for sure endo, ortho and OMFS are extrememly competitive but I'm assuming the other programs are not? For example, I heard that for pedo, your personality matters more than academics. Not saying that you don't need to work hard, but you dont need to be in the 95%-ile in the board scores or top 5 in your class ranking. :(