Grades? Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my grades. What are my chances?
My overall GPA is 3.0.

Fall 03
English 101 A
general chemistry 1 B
general chemistry 1 lab A
general biology 1 B
algebra A

Spring 04
English 102 A
general chemistry 2 B
general chemistry 2 lab B
plane trigonometry A
political science B
general psychology A

Fall 2004
general biology 2 B
organic chemistry 1 withdrawal
speech A
child development psyc. A

Spring 05
anthropology B
sociology A
human anatomy B
organic chemistry 1 F
calculus F

Summer 05
religious studies B

Fall 05
history C
statistics A
calculus C
Spanish 1 C

Spring 06
genetics C
physics 1 B
physics 1 lab A
Spanish 2 A
another class

Summer 06
organic chemistry 1 withdraw

Fall 07
classics B
cell biology C
physics 2 C
physics 2 lab B
Spanish 3 A

Spring 07
piano 1 A
Spanish 4 B
organic chemistry 1 C

Fall 07
bacteriology/microbiology D
microbiology lab B
piano 2 B

Spring 08
bacteriology/microbiology B

Fall 08
human physiology B
ecology C
religious studies B
organic chemistry 2 in progress

----
Future courses:
Spring 09
physical chemistry
analytical chemistry
optics

Fall 09
biochemistry
organic lab
inorganic chemistry
research

Spring 10
seminar
graduate

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, the letter grade lost it's formatting after I clicked reply.

Here are my grades. What are my chances?
My overall GPA is 3.0.

Fall 03
English 101 A
general chemistry 1 B
general chemistry 1 lab A
general biology 1 B
algebra A

Spring 04
English 102 A
general chemistry 2 B
general chemistry 2 lab B
plane trigonometry A
political science B
general psychology A

Fall 2004
general biology 2 B
organic chemistry 1 withdrawal
speech A
child development psyc. A

Spring 05
anthropology B
sociology A
human anatomy B
organic chemistry 1 F
calculus F

Summer 05
religious studies B

Fall 05
history C
statistics A
calculus C
Spanish 1 C

Spring 06
genetics C
physics 1 B
physics 1 lab A
Spanish 2 A
another class

Summer 06
organic chemistry 1 withdraw

Fall 07
classics B
cell biology C
physics 2 C
physics 2 lab B
Spanish 3 A

Spring 07
piano 1 A
Spanish 4 B
organic chemistry 1 C

Fall 07
bacteriology/microbiology D
microbiology lab B
piano 2 B

Spring 08
bacteriology/microbiology B

Fall 08
human physiology B
ecology C
religious studies B
organic chemistry 2 in progress

----
Future courses:
Spring 09
physical chemistry
analytical chemistry
optics

Fall 09
biochemistry
organic lab
inorganic chemistry
research

Spring 10
seminar
graduate

after looking at this, how long did you spend in undergrad? are you un-traditional student?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Just had trouble along the way but I am on track now.

Note to others who replies in the future, do not quote the original post as it is very long. Also because since this is from my transcript and I don't want it to be searchable in google, I will be editing the original post in the future to erase my grade info.

Last edited:
Just curious, but are you a chemistry major. You must be seeing as you are planning on taking physical chemistry because no one in their right mind would willingly take that chore of a class. That class pretty much ruled my life the past three months and I wish that pain on nobody (I'm a chem major and had to take it). It's like the worst parts of calculus combined with the worst parts of physics and then it's taught in greek. Analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, biochemistry (hated this class) and optics are also tough. You probably already know this though...

As for your chances, it all depends on the school(s) to which you apply, your OAT scores and the rest of your application packet. Good OAT scores, extracurriculars, and observations could make up for some of your withdrawals/average grades. Call the school that you are applying to and ask them how to better your chances.

The biggest concern that I would have is that your grades, particularly in the sciences seem to be trending downward, not upward. That is generally not a good sign at all. I would suggest that you need to concentrate as much as you possible can on your SCIENCE courses in the next 18 months and do really well. You will likely still have to explain that trough in your performance though and do as well as possible on the OAT.

I would definitely contact the schools you are interested in and get their opinion on your situation.

I was going to contact the school but I am afraid of the answer I'll receive.

Just curious, but are you a chemistry major. You must be seeing as you are planning on taking physical chemistry because no one in their right mind would willingly take that chore of a class. That class pretty much ruled my life the past three months and I wish that pain on nobody (I'm a chem major and had to take it).
i'm an engineering major and had to take that, and i must say that i thoroughly agree. i suggest that nobody take that unless they absolutely have to. you'll save yourself a lot of pain.

Just curious, but are you a chemistry major?

Unfortunately I have to take it because I am a chemistry major.

I am dreading it. All I heard throughout college was that organic was the hardest class. I assumed it was going to be downhill after organic. I guess I was wrong.
There are two types of physical chemistry offered though.
One version is broadly based and the other is physical chemistry 1 and 2.
I am taking the broadly based version.

Unfortunately I have to take it because I am a chemistry major.

I am dreading it. All I heard throughout college was that organic was the hardest class. I assumed it was going to be downhill after organic. I guess I was wrong.
There are two types of physical chemistry offered though.
One version is broadly based and the other is physical chemistry 1 and 2.
I am taking the broadly based version.

I didn't think Organic was really all that bad. I liked it way better than Gen Chem and thought it was easier.

I'm just wondering if a chem major is right for you then. You seemed to really struggle through your other chem courses and you are dreading future courses. Would it be possible to change to something that you may be more interested in or better at? I've heard the same about physical chem and if you struggled that much in o. chem it may be a disaster in physical chem.

I was going to contact the school but I am afraid of the answer I'll receive.

Ummm.....so then what?

You're surfing around on here hoping someone will pat you on the back and say "Buck up, little camper! You've got a great chance!"??

Be serious now....and don't put your head in the sand. Phone the schools you're interested in, lay out your situation and ask them what the best course of action for you to take would be.