grades for dental schools..help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshinelover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Does dental school takes C's ?
I am going to be a junior. My gpa right now is 3.3 .I have two C's in organic chem 1 and organic chem2.

Should I go grade forgiveness and retake one of the organic class again??

Please helppp!! :(

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you already make a thread on this?

Anyways, you shouldn't retake the class unless you're 110% certain you'll be able to get an A. A grade of B would actually further lower your GPA, since AADSAS counts both grades. My suggestion would to just do well in an upper division class to balance it out. Also, be sure to do your best on that section on the DAT to prove yourself.

And yes, dental schools take C's. (just not C- for the most part)

yeahh but i forgot to ask about retaking it.

and thanks for replying ..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, don't worry about it. I got a C in a general bio class and got into most of the schools I applied to. I didn't think I would get into some of them because they seemed so competitive. I know a C right now seems like everything, but upward trend and overall gpa matter more. Also, doing well on the DATs proves that you actually know the material. good luck :D

thanks..
yeah i tght about it ..I think I am going to end up taking it. so i dont look back and think that i didnt try again...idont know if it makes sense..

but thanks again for ur advise :]

how about getting D in Bio 2 and then retaking it and making A second time? is that fine? I still made an "A" in every science class I have taken after that though from Bio 3 to Gen, biochem, physio, histo, including labs until i graduated etc etc

how about getting D in Bio 2 and then retaking it and making A second time? is that fine? I still made an "A" in every science class I have taken after that though from Bio 3 to Gen, biochem, physio, histo, including labs until i graduated etc etc

A D is not acceptable at schools. You need at least a C or better. So yes you need to re-take. Getting an A after re-taking does not show them much though. Most people would do a lot better if they are re-taking the same class over again...

They want to see you do better in higher level biology classes. If you do good in those then it shows a lot more than retaking and getting an A.

yeahh but i forgot to ask about retaking it.

and thanks for replying ..

When I went to UCSF for a dental conference, one of the students on the lunch panel said he got Cs in ochem but just ended up rocking the DATs. If UCSF accepts Cs and all the other schools I got into accepted my C in bio, I really dont think retaking it is worth it. It'd probably be better if you focus on getting a 23+ on your ochem DAT which isn't impossible. Since you're already a junior, it might be more worthwhile to rock your senior year with some upper div bios than to retake classes.

thanks for replying cookiemonster.

yeah i tght abt it . But wuldnt it be helpful towards my gpa, if i retake and get an A ?
i knw dental school counts both..it wuld prolly make diff. by lik 0.50 or something around that...

what do u think?

continued...

and also what if i dont end up doing good on organic part of the DAT exam..
would they consider that i retook a course and ended up w. the better grade than the first time ?

A D is not acceptable at schools. You need at least a C or better. So yes you need to re-take. Getting an A after re-taking does not show them much though. Most people would do a lot better if they are re-taking the same class over again...

They want to see you do better in higher level biology classes. If you do good in those then it shows a lot more than retaking and getting an A.

this guy. the planet is soooo lucky you are not trying to be a lawyer.