grades for pharmacy school

Started by dematt30
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dematt30

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay I just applied to pharmacy school and I took my PCAT in january. I looked everywhere and I'm curious about what are competitive grades to get into pharmacy school and what they are normally looking for PCAT score wise. I don't feel like hearing how everyone got a 99% and 3.9 gpa that is useless to me and anyone else who reads this thread. All i want to know is the school you got accepted at and their average gpa pcat scores- Thanks everyone
 
Most of the average GPA and PCAT info for each school is available on the Pharmcas website. I got several interview offers and already an acceptance with an 85 pcat and a 3.6 GPA. Good luck
 
Also search the boards because there has been tons of posts regarding this. Generally you want to aim for a 3.5 or above, but there are many schools that average 3.2-3.4 for incoming students. A 3.0 is the bare minimum considering. All schools have a 2.5 or so cutoff. Some people have been accepted with under a 3.0 but they had amazing credentials (PCAT score, experience, extracurriculars, etc.)
 
The "What are my chances" (WAMC) threads are really helpful, i've been reading those a lot lately. However I do think that for myself I am looking at the various schools I am interested in and trying to strive for their PCAT and GPA averages for each respective school.]

Also search the boards because there has been tons of posts regarding this. Generally you want to aim for a 3.5 or above, but there are many schools that average 3.2-3.4 for incoming students. A 3.0 is the bare minimum considering. All schools have a 2.5 or so cutoff. Some people have been accepted with under a 3.0 but they had amazing credentials (PCAT score, experience, extracurriculars, etc.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most of the average GPA and PCAT info for each school is available on the Pharmcas website. I got several interview offers and already an acceptance with an 85 pcat and a 3.6 GPA. Good luck


abenton, i was looking at your sig and all of your acceptances/interviews are very impressive...i live in atlanta and im playing to all the schools in ga(mercer,south,uga) next year...any advice? i know uga is tough, but what are your other cridentials besides gpa and pcat.....good luck to you, where do you think you'll end up?
 
abenton, i was looking at your sig and all of your acceptances/interviews are very impressive...i live in atlanta and im playing to all the schools in ga(mercer,south,uga) next year...any advice? i know uga is tough, but what are your other cridentials besides gpa and pcat.....good luck to you, where do you think you'll end up?
I also have taken several upper level science class, have solid LOR's (2 from pharmacists and one from OCHEM II prof.), I have about a year of exp. in a retail pharmacy, about 100 hours of volunteering in a retail pharmacy, and nothing spectacular as far as EC's go. You've heard this a million times, but apply early and be sure to check with your schools around august to make sure they have everything they need from you. I haven't interviewed at south, but the Mercer and UGA interviews are very laid back. The Mercer interview has more to it, (Grounp mingling, faculty interview, current pharmacy student interview), but they just want you to be yourself. UGA doesn't even begin interviewing until Jan. so don't worry if you don't hear from them that early. While Mercer and South begin interviewing in late August/ Early Sept. If I get into UGA, I will prob. go there but not sure. At my Mercer interview I fell in love with the school, faculty, and staff. Good Luck for the upcoming application cycle! Sorry for rambling, lol