Grades from Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

So Im currently doing my masters and will be applying next year in the summer for fall 2015.
My question is, I have 3 C's in undergrad science courses (Have a 3.53 oGPA). Cant really change them now.

Do you think those grades will effect me bigtime? Aiming for a straight up 4.0 in Masters :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dental2000,

3 Cs wont hurt you as long as you have a good overall science GPA. I have 3 Cs are well (Got a C+ in Bio 101, C in Bio 102 & a C in Bio 103), my science gpa in a 2.607 but Bio is the only pre-req that i have taken so there is still suffiecient time fo rme to pull up my GPA.

As always sGPA > oGPA but aim for having a 3.4 or higher science GPA, and the Cs wont matter.

Since you're doing a master's program theyll look at that more than the undergrad class except bio chem and physics because those are the most important.

OVERALL: The 3 Cs wont have a bigtime effect as long as youre sGPA is still competitive.

Best of luck to you!

Just get a good score on your DAT. DAT >>> GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just get a good score on your DAT. DAT >>> GPA.

It's a little dated, but this suggests GPA, particularly the science GPA, is the greatest overall predictor of dental school success.
http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/dat_validity_study.pdf

OP - three Cs won't break an application. What's the saying? There's no point crying over spilt milk? Just keep rocking all your coursework and involve yourself in other unique, perhaps non-academic, pursuits.

Last edited:
I had 2 C's, 2 W's, and an F in undergrad, applied this cycle, and got 6 interviews.

I have a high DAT score, though, so it seems to balance out.

I have a 3.34 BCP gpa, 3.38 sGPA and oGPA 3.53. This is all from undergrad. Im still in my 1st semester of Grad school and hoping to get a 4.0 this semester :)

Last edited:
If you have a low sGPA just have extra curriculars or experiences that balance it out. I applied to 8 schools with a 2.9 sGPA and a very average DAT score and got 2 interviews pretty early on. A lot of schools look for people that will make good dentists. The best dentist needs experiences not just a 4.0 gpa

i was in the same boat, had Cs every semester .. didn't really focus or try my best in undergrad but i completed my masters like you too and i definitely think that helps :)

I applied with 3 C's (2 semester of gen bio + biochem II). I got 21 on Bio DAT twice, 3 interviews so far this cycle. Obviously not accepted, but they at least liked my stats so far. No masters program, so you one-up me there.