Grades honestly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CAvalley2014

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone I just graduated from undergrad with a b.s in biology with a 2.8 solid overall gpa. I've read many threads about retaking prerequisites to increase my gpa in order to be more competitive for pa school but I honestly don't know if its even worth applying because now im just trying to get into the bare minimum and thats already virtually impossible for me to get in. I have 3 Cs and 1 D in science courses that are not prerequisites. My bad grades record can be rooted back to my freshman year. I was a pretty decent student in high school, over a 4.0 gpa but when i got to college i became unorganized, wrapped up in my social life(because in highschool I never went out or partied), and lost grasp of my goal of getting into p.a school. After getting my first bad test grades in certain classes I thought i had time to bring my grade up by the time the next exams rolled around but i didn't realize how fast time had gone by and before it knew it was too late. I even changed my major to nursing at one point but i knew thats not what i wanted to do. I was young, still am, and unlike most people it took me all of that too realize that I should've had a better grasp on schoolwork. Toward my senior year i knew i had already dug myself into a deep hole and it was too late to turn back so i was just focused on graduating and began to lose more motivation. I already have student loans to take care of in another 6 months and I don't want to waste anymore time or money if my shot is completely gone. I still would need to find a job to get clinical experience, take the GRE, and take biochem. I just wanted some constructive criticism on what I should do in taking the next step? Thanks so much.
 
Sounds like the boat I'm in. I'm hoping to finish with a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.5 sGPA since i have a year left and my current gpa is 2.8. In Cali, we don't need to take the GRE to get into a PA program like Touro but the clinical patient contact experience is important. I plan on taking a quick EMT course and start getting the 160 hours needed...which is probably what you need to do. Honestly, I would just check off what you have and then apply. If you don't get in during your first cycle, try again or go back for a Masters while working with the degree you already have. Most masters programs are 6 units max for a couple years and you can get a 4.0, and if anything have something great to fall back on. Just my .02 since we're kinda in the same boat.
 
Everyone messes up. If you bounce back and get >3.7 from here on out it looks good. Shows you can kick yourself in the ass and get it done. I applied with a 3.63 cgpa and 3.5sgpa plus 1600 hours of hce. Got into a top 3 program and two others. I'm a 30 year old high school dropout. If I can do it anyone who gives a damn can.