Grades in PhD courses. Do they matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I heard from couple of PhD friends that they need to strive to get the highest GPA possible if they are interested in getting professor jobs.

So are PhD course grades matter for MD PhD students in terms of residency and finding a faculty position?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about residency and faculty positions, but grants such as an F30 do have a section where you list every grade since undergrad that you received. Awards like that might influence your eventual job positions and residencies, but I am not too sure how heavily they are weighted in comparison to other things.

Reactions: 1 users

High impact publications are among the most important factors for early career grants (K award, etc). Not grad school grades. You may find the same commentary for R01, etc ("would have been likely to fund if had recent high impact publication on this topic"). For faculty positions, it's about ability to get funding (and not be dangerous clinically if you see patients).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)