Grades in postbac!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope143

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope you are doing good.
I have applied to DO schools this year.
I have not heard back due to my low stats but I have hope that maybe by Jan/Feb/even March I might be able to hear back. I am also retaking my MCAT in Jan hopefully.
My question is regarding post bac grades: I am in a certificate post bac this year. I wanted to know what is the average gpa that I should aim for. I plan to update all the schools with my grades in December. I know I am not getting a 4.0 as the classes are taught by med school professors/some college ones and they are definitely not easy. What is the minimum gpa I should aim for? Classes this semester our biochem, histo/cell bio, biostats and another class.
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely no C's in post-bacc allowed. You need to have more A's than B's (ideally above a 3.6 GPA) in post-bacc. Obviously, higher is better if you plan to "overcome" your admitted low stats.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,
I have not heard back due to my low stats but I have hope that maybe by Jan/Feb/even March I might be able to hear back. I am also retaking my MCAT in Jan hopefully.
My question is regarding post bac grades: I am in a certificate post bac this year. I wanted to know what is the average gpa that I should aim for. I plan to update all the schools with my grades in December. I know I am not getting a 4.0 as the classes are taught by med school professors/some college ones and they are definitely not easy. What is the minimum gpa I should aim for? Classes this semester our biochem, histo/cell bio, biostats and another class.
Thanks so much!
3.5+ And as mentioned, no C's.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Does anyone know if we'd still be able to update schools with grades from spring? My app is already in and I've been taking some post-bacc courses that I'm updating currently. I want to do more next semester, but the classes end past the last academic update. Do you know if schools would still have us send them personally? and if not, do you think it's still worth it to take to show effort?

Hi,
Thanks so much!
If your stats and your MCAT are already low. You cannot afford to go much below 4.0 as is. You shouldn't be thinking of any "minimum" as that is the incorrect mindset

Reactions: 1 user