Grades...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAPrincess2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I spent a few months battling the PA vs Med school debate. After shadowing, talking to MD's and PA's, I made my decision to pursue medical school. However, after looking at my unofficial trans scripts, I realized I have a few WF and F grades. They were from my first/second year of school due to health conditions and personal problems. Since then I have retaken a few of the courses and received an A or B in the course. Will this affect my chances? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

For DO the new grades will replace the old ones. For MD they will both count.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a silly question. But one F is in a bridge math course that I had to take before stats, will that even been factored in my GPA? Another F is in bio 1. How negatively will that be looked at?

This might be a silly question. But one F is in a bridge math course that I had to take before stats, will that even been factored in my GPA? Another F is in bio 1. How negatively will that be looked at?
All college classes are factored into your GPA, there is no exception to that for MD programs. Well the F would first of all lower your sGPA and cGPA. If you have retaken the class and done well, that should be okay. But I would also recommend to take plenty biology courses and upper-level biology courses to show them that you are capable of handling a rigorous course load. Medical schools do this for a reason. You can't be failing classes and failing boards in medical school. This you cost you lots of valuable time and money. If you don't think you can handle your undergrad, please reconsider this route to MD/DO.

They will look like Fs, if you have done well in retakes or higher level courses over equivalent materials they will be looked at as outliers and shouldn't have much impact beyond their effect on your GPA.
Upward trends really help students in your situation. As does explaining that your health wasn't good, but you need to explain why you didn't withdraw (I was young and stupid and it was an eye opening experience for me is an explanation)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Im just nervous to head down this path if my past will haunt me.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Im just nervous to head down this path if my past will haunt me.
11.gif

If it makes you feel more confident with your decision, PA schools do not accept grade replacements. So your Fs will hurt your MD and PA application, but you have the opportunity to grade replace for DO. DO will likely be an easier path than PA

Grade replace, bring your gpas above 3.3, target DO and your state MD schools

If it makes you feel more confident with your decision, PA schools do not accept grade replacements. So your Fs will hurt your MD and PA application, but you have the opportunity to grade replace for DO. DO will likely be an easier path than PA

Grade replace, bring your gpas above 3.3, target DO and your state MD schools
Great thank you ! I will do more research on the DO option. I am confident in my academic abilities to achieve a competitive GPA. I just want to find the area I would be most highly considered.

11.gif

Schools reward reinvention. Retake the courses you did poorly in and score well on the MCAT and you will have a strong chance at state/DO.