Grading scales

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverlearner02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do medical schools take into account the different grading scales at different universities?

Where I did my undergrad, to 4.0 biochem you needed a 85% and the prof curved each individual exam and a 3.0 is a 72%
Where I am doing my post bac, to 4.0 biochem, you need a 95% and the prof curves each individual exam
and to 3.0 you need an 80%
Difficulty wise there isn't some huge difference that would warrant a 10% difference in a 4.0

How do medical schools account for these types of differences?

Members don't see this ad.

How do medical schools take into account the different grading scales at different universities?

Where I did my undergrad, to 4.0 biochem you needed a 85% and the prof curved each individual exam and a 3.0 is a 72%
Where I am doing my post bac, to 4.0 biochem, you need a 95% and the prof curves each individual exam
Difficulty wise there isn't some huge difference that would warrant a 10% difference in a 4.0

They don't. GPA is GPA is GPA

Reactions: 4 users

We don't account for these. We expect you do well, and the MCAT is the great equalizer. A 4.0 from Kutztown State will get someone into med school, other things being equal.

Particular UG schools, being feeders to med schools, have students who are a known quantity, so this plays a role in determining how rigorous a UG school is.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. So choose your major wisely. Don't be stupid like me and choose a degree with a 6 pt grading scale with often subjective grading. Still kick myself.

Reactions: 1 user