Grading system discrepancies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if we've thoroughly hashed this subject or not. I know schools have different grading policies (A,A-,B+, etc) and (A, B, C, etc). In the former case, an A is a 4.0 and an A-is a 3.7. In the latter case, an A is a 4.0. Schools w/ the latter grading policy (or from what friends tell me at other schools) list only the letter grade (A, B, ....) w/out the particular numbers. Does this bother any of you. I understand that in the case of the Bs and Cs in both cases the calculated GPAs would end up being about the same b/c of the grade values. But, what about the A and A-. At my undergrad, an A- brought you down all the way to a 3.7ish. So basically if you were borderline A/A- you were screwed. Anyways, this bothers me b/c I got a whole lot of A-'s on my transcript. Why doesn't AMCAS change it's grading policy to reflect that slight discrepancy?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by pendulum:
•Why doesn't AMCAS change it's grading policy to reflect that slight discrepancy?•••

Because then it would be way to easy for AMCAS and our lives. AMCAS needs to make applying as complicated as possible. Besides it's not going to hurt too much. Be glad that you have a plus minus system in the first place. Here it's straight letter grades. So an 89 is the same grade as an 80...a B, none of this fofo plus or minus stuff.