+/- grading system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurg2019

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I now realize what a blessing it is to attend a school that gives grades with the standard A, B, C,.... I recently transfered to UCI and took my first course there this summer, calculus 3. I received my grade today, an A-. This, sadly, equates to a 3.7 GPA, not a 4.0. I guess I'm going to have to work twice as hard to achieve A's due to the fact that a 90-93% is not an A anymore. I guess this is just a venting post. Anyone have any struggles adjusting to this grading system? Or, alternatively, adusting from a community college to university?

Members don't see this ad.

I now realize what a blessing it is to attend a school that gives grades with the standard A, B, C,.... I recently transfered to UCI and took my first course there this summer, calculus 3. I received my grade today, an A-. This, sadly, equates to a 3.7 GPA, not a 4.0. I guess I'm going to have to work twice as hard to achieve A's due to the fact that a 90-93% is not an A anymore. I guess this is just a venting post. Anyone have any struggles adjusting to this grading system? Or, alternatively, adusting from a community college to university?

yeah im in calc now, its 93 or higher for an A. 92 and lower is a B and so forth

I don't see what there is to complain about, vast majority of schools use the +/- system, which better reflects your performance. if you got an 86% in a class you'll be glad that you'll get a B+ instead of a B.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see what there is to complain about, vast majority of schools use the +/- system, which better reflects your performance. if you got an 86% in a class you'll be glad that you'll get a B+ instead of a B.
i agree, thats just how it is

Yea, it just sucks because I'm the type of student that always gets 90-93%! I guess I just have to suck it up and put in a little more effort... this was my first class on UC +/- system, so hopefully this fall will be better.

P.S. excellent MCAT score

man those minuses suck! you end up with a 92% in the class and get excited for that A and then realize that if you got straight A's with 92% you'd only have a 3.7 GPA.

Yeah, I'd prefer not to have them. But think about it this way, a B+ won't hurt as much as a B.

The Biology professors at my institution think it is great fun to use this scale:

100-95% A
94.9% - 90% A-

:thumbdown:

I got 11 A-s while in undergrad and 17 B+s. So overall it helped my GPA and more accurately reflected my progress as a student. Then again, I've been on the +/- system since freshman year of high school so it wasn't a big deal to me.