GradPlus or Private? What are your current experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monsterdaddy

RPh, PharmD, MBA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to both to see what the interest rate differences are between GradPlus and private loan. I'm kind of mad that my private loan application decided to ask for a cosigner. I was wondering if anyone has experiences taking on private loans what interest rates are currently being offered.

I just want to know if it would be worth it. Otherwise, I'll just stick with GradPlus and pay them off quickly. Thanks again all!

Members don't see this ad.

go grad plus... private loans are NOT eligible for the current PSLF program (forgives your loans after 10 years working for gov't or non-profit hospital), and any NEW legislation/regulations that will ease debt burden probably won't apply to private loans.

I couldn't even find private loans when I was shopping for them, the only ones the bank would refer me to would be the governmental subsidized/unsubsidized ones.

I couldn't even find private loans when I was shopping for them, the only ones the bank would refer me to would be the governmental subsidized/unsubsidized ones.

schools have rules in place that require you to max out your federal loans before going to private ones. I don't know if these are federal guidelines, school guidelines or something else...that's why you couldn't even shop for private loans in the first place through your school.

same thing with needing to max out your subsidized loans before going to unsubsidized.