Graduate GPA problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad GPA is a ~3.5. The problem is that my grad GPA is also 3.5. However, this isn't based on any "real" courses. Research courses are graded P/F. My TAing is graded with a letter grade. Out of three TAing classes, I got the equivalent of one A and two Bs. The remaining A was in a graduate-level statistical mechanics course. Will the adcom be able to see past the GPA and see that in the only "real" class I took, I got an A?

Members don't see this ad.

mercaptovizadeh said:
My undergrad GPA is a ~3.5. The problem is that my grad GPA is also 3.5. However, this isn't based on any "real" courses. Research courses are graded P/F. My TAing is graded with a letter grade. Out of three TAing classes, I got the equivalent of one A and two Bs. The remaining A was in a graduate-level statistical mechanics course. Will the adcom be able to see past the GPA and see that in the only "real" class I took, I got an A?

This is a pretty specific issue and it probably depends on other aspects of your app. I suggest that you call the schools where you plan to apply, and ask them about it. I did exactly that when I wanted to find out if my pre-reqs, which are all pass/fail and all 10+ years old, would be acceptable.