Graduate GPA problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My undergrad GPA is a ~3.5. The problem is that my grad GPA is also 3.5. However, this isn't based on any "real" courses. Research courses are graded P/F. My TAing is graded with a letter grade. Out of three TAing classes, I got the equivalent of one A and two Bs. The remaining A was in a graduate-level statistical mechanics course. Will the adcom be able to see past the GPA and see that in the only "real" class I took, I got an A?
 
mercaptovizadeh said:
My undergrad GPA is a ~3.5. The problem is that my grad GPA is also 3.5. However, this isn't based on any "real" courses. Research courses are graded P/F. My TAing is graded with a letter grade. Out of three TAing classes, I got the equivalent of one A and two Bs. The remaining A was in a graduate-level statistical mechanics course. Will the adcom be able to see past the GPA and see that in the only "real" class I took, I got an A?

This is a pretty specific issue and it probably depends on other aspects of your app. I suggest that you call the schools where you plan to apply, and ask them about it. I did exactly that when I wanted to find out if my pre-reqs, which are all pass/fail and all 10+ years old, would be acceptable.