Graduate School Interest Rates

Started by koercive
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else thought about this..
If it's almost impossible to default on student loans and Fed rate is essentially 0, why do they charge graduate students 6.8% on their Stafford Loans? Unlike undergrads who get 3.4% on their loans, we are more likely to have a job out of grad school and can pay back the loans.

Also for comparison, my Scottrade Margin Rate Sheet said that I could borrow from them at 7.8%, while Grad Plus loans are at 7.9%. Basically, I get a better rate if I decided to gamble than on a Grad Plus loan? 😕😕
 
I think the idea is that undergrads might go to graduate school, so saddling them with higher interest rate loans during undergraduate will cause them to accumulate more debt by graduate school. Honestly, I don't agree with any of it -- the rates should at least be the same for grad students as undergrads.