Graduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tingwxus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first time posting a something here.
I am a UCIrvine transfer student majoring in psychology and social behavior, and I am going to graduate in this spring quarter. GPA is around 3.6 and taking GRE in December. I have work, research lab, intern and volunteer experience and all of them are related to psychology field. Right now, I am preparing for graduate school, but not sure what is the best for me.I will want to get an Ph.D. or Psy.D. eventually, and right now I am not sure if I should go for MSW/MFT/Clinical psychology for master's. I want to be able to work after completing master's, so maybe MSW and MFT are more feasible since I can get exams for licensed after getting the degree and finishing the supervised hours? I may be wrong, but is master's in clinical psychology meant for someone who plans on going to Ph.D. or Psy.D. right away? What can master's in clinical psychology do? I am very interested in getting LPCC, but not sure if it is a good choice in California? Also, I am not sure what schools I should go for, preferably somewhere in California though. Also how high the GPA should be to be considered competitive. Lastly, my school currently has this post baccalaureate program just started, and I was wondering if it is a good idea that I join this program and skip master's and go straight to Ph.D or Psy.D? The program claims to have a customized curriculum that you will need to take to the director of the program and the director will decide what kind the classes you should take to place you in a more competitive position. However, overall this program only gives you a certificate rather than any degree. So I am really not sure what is the right path to take. I apologize for so many questions, but after researching a lot of information, I start to get confused and not sure what to do. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why try for LPC if you could be a psychologist? UCI has a good rep and if your GRE is high enough then go straight for a funded PhD program. You usually get the masters along them way so no need to get one separate. Also, no need to work because that is how you get the funded spot is by working while getting degree.

Reactions: 1 user