Graduate Student Summer Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Wondering if anyone knew of any summer research internships for graduate students. I found the ones from NIH, but was wondering if there are any university run programs? Particularly under the University of California?

I'm also wondering if it is proper to just call up some professors to see if they would take a graduate student for the summer. I don't care about pay. I'm more interested in getting additional experience. My PI is OK with that since I should be done with my thesis in a reasonable amount of time, and things get a tad slow over the summers too. So any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any specific programs, but I'm sure that if you don't care about being paid that there would be many PIs who would jump at the chance to take a student with a good amount of previous research experience who is willing to work for free, especially considering the status of funding right now. If you were looking for a paying gig, you would probably be out of luck, especially if you were looking to work only for the summer. I'm wrapping up my thesis right now and applying for med school in the upcoming cycle, so I was looking for lab positions for the next year-15 months, and I was hard-pressed to find anything. So many PIs aren't taking new thesis students and firing technicians for lack of funding, I was really lucky to find one who was hiring techs.

I don't know of any specific programs, but I'm sure that if you don't care about being paid that there would be many PIs who would jump at the chance to take a student with a good amount of previous research experience who is willing to work for free, especially considering the status of funding right now. If you were looking for a paying gig, you would probably be out of luck, especially if you were looking to work only for the summer. I'm wrapping up my thesis right now and applying for med school in the upcoming cycle, so I was looking for lab positions for the next year-15 months, and I was hard-pressed to find anything. So many PIs aren't taking new thesis students and firing technicians for lack of funding, I was really lucky to find one who was hiring techs.

Yea tell me about it. Funding is always an issue. I don't even know how any of us still get our fee remission especially for labs that get funding from grants.

I'll probably end up just calling up some on campus prof who is willing to offer some more experiences. I lucked out here too. Supposedly I have a place to do my post-doc (funding and all), but if i go off to med school, where ever that may be, then I forfeit all that. :rolleyes:

Funny how we PhD's look for more pain...haha.