Quantcast

Graduating college this semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ridz

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi SDN,
A little bit about me: I'm 21 years old and I'm a third year student at an ivy majoring in economics. I plan to graduate a year early (this spring) and hopefully complete a pre med post bacc program. I thought I wanted to go into finance, but after completing an investment banking internship I realized it was not for me. After volunteering in a hospital and shadowing doctors from various fields this past fall, I feel that med school may be my calling.

Most of the post baccs that have linkage programs are focused towards career switchers, usually people who are in their mid twenties. Are there post bacc programs that have linkage programs that are friendly towards graduating college students? I've thought of staying an extra year at my ivy, but my family is paying 60k a year which is way more expensive than most post bacc programs.

Thanks everyone

SeverusSnape

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While most of the "big name" Post Bac programs undoubtedly have classes whose mean age is slightly higher than yours, they pretty much all accept some graduating seniors. A current Post Bac posted in the Bryn Mawr thread that out of his current class of ~ 88 students, 15 came straight from college.

I don't know that there are any PB programs geared specifically towards seniors and there's a chance the more popular programs ( Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Hopkins) show a bias towards accepting slightly older students, but that being said, you certainly have a fair chance given a compelling story and good stats.

Kentobari

Reaction score
Hi SDN,
A little bit about me: I'm 21 years old and I'm a third year student at an ivy majoring in economics. I plan to graduate a year early (this spring) and hopefully complete a pre med post bacc program. I thought I wanted to go into finance, but after completing an investment banking internship I realized it was not for me. After volunteering in a hospital and shadowing doctors from various fields this past fall, I feel that med school may be my calling.

Most of the post baccs that have linkage programs are focused towards career switchers, usually people who are in their mid twenties. Are there post bacc programs that have linkage programs that are friendly towards graduating college students? I've thought of staying an extra year at my ivy, but my family is paying 60k a year which is way more expensive than most post bacc programs.

Thanks everyone

If you are still discovering your interests and what career path you truly want to be on, and that medical school "may be" one of them, why not take a year or two off and work, pursue interests, or dare I say... "find yourself" before committing to a career path?

Taking a year or two off to work would not only give you more life experience and make your application more competitive, it would help you find your focus. There are many job opportunities open to you in medicine and health having graduated from a good school.

Just friendly advice.