Graduation Cheapness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question. What are your schools doing for you for graduation? Are you renting a bloody gown at your own expense only to return it in an hour after spending 190,000 dollars like my lovely school?

Members don't see this ad.

We have to buy ours. It was a few months ago that I filled out the form, but it was like $150...craaaazy.

We've paid graduation fees ($250) which cover the cap/gown and any other items my school deems necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question. What are your schools doing for you for graduation? Are you renting a bloody gown at your own expense only to return it in an hour after spending 190,000 dollars like my lovely school?

4th year problems.....lol.

Now back to immunology (sigh.....dreaming of the day I get to spend $190,000 on my gown).

Just messing with you, and congratulations btw.

We've paid graduation fees ($250) which cover the cap/gown and any other items my school deems necessary.

You would have thought two years of tuition being paid for 0 services in return would cover the rental of graduation gowns.

Agreed, it also guarantees that I will never consider donating money, via the alumni association, in the future irregardless of how much I make.

Its a small amount required to rent a gown, but it is more the principle of the thing. Spending 180-190,000 dollars on tuition alone with little to no resources the last two years, then not even getting a bloody gown covered at graduation is a slap in the face IMO.

Yes, this probably sounds like whinning, but after seeing my loan statement and then this; it just irks me. If we were not absolutely required to attend graduation to get our degrees I would not go.

Bring on the flames.

Agreed, it also guarantees that I will never consider donating money, via the alumni association, in the future irregardless of how much I make.

Its a small amount required to rent a gown, but it is more the principle of the thing. Spending 180-190,000 dollars on tuition alone with little to no resources the last two years, then not even getting a bloody gown covered at graduation is a slap in the face IMO.

Yes, this probably sounds like whinning, but after seeing my loan statement and then this; it just irks me. If we were not absolutely required to attend graduation to get our degrees I would not go.

Bring on the flames.

I feel the same way. It's very frustrating when you tally up just how much money the schools, mine in particular, make each year off each class. We don't pay for rotations, so the only expenses I could potentially see costing money in 3rd year are the shelfs and the one coordinator we have for my class. I'm sure buying lots of real estate and then opening up every health professions program known to man (not yet but eventually) costs a good chunk of change.

Many of us won't ever donate money. In my first month of med school, my parents were solicited for a donation. I think that is utterly ridiculous. Solicit me all you want, leave my family out of it.

But then, is there a med school - or high school - that pays for cap and gown?

The cheapest package is around $140, and that's what I'm paying.

My school had us all complain so much about the fees nickle-and-diming us that we eliminated all fees and they are just all encompassed in the tuition now. Which is really friggen funny when you think about it.

So I have no clue what my school is charging for the cap and gown (besides the ~41k in tuition), but I know its in the tuition somewhere. Also I believe we get to keep our stuff. But I wouldn't know since our costs are no longer itemized.

sometimes complaints sort of backfire on you haha.

$250 PER year, so $1,000 in fees.

You should be getting some kind of diamond encrusted robe.

I'd rather just pay the $200 for the gown like everyone else.

When I looked at the fees on the LECOM website I figured it was just 4th year we paid it. But it looks like you are right. I had to pay graduation fees out of my own pocket this year so I figured we only got charged once.

I guess they figure students will complain about the fee less when it's divvied up across four years. Or, like bleaker, they are hoping we are too busy to notice. From what I hear from upperclassmen, LECOM wants you there for graduation 4-5 days ahead of time. I suppose they have activities (social and/or informational?) in those days prior to the graduation that cost money. It isn't just the cap and gown costs, I guess.

damnnnn right in the butt. I hope there's an open bar with top shelf stuff.

my school tacks on a few hundred in 4th year and they take care of the gown.

NYCOM was 450 I think paid in 4th year tuition. They gave us the graduation gown, a diploma frame, and a open bar commencement dinner/dance at a country club. and a two day graduation (one general graduation, one hooding ceremony the next day) and a Brunch at a country club for graduates and guests after the hooding ceremony. I think they spent our down to the last drop.

4th year problems.

3ux1js.jpg

I guess they figure students will complain about the fee less when it's divvied up across four years. Or, like bleaker, they are hoping we are too busy to notice. From what I hear from upperclassmen, LECOM wants you there for graduation 4-5 days ahead of time. I suppose they have activities (social and/or informational?) in those days prior to the graduation that cost money. It isn't just the cap and gown costs, I guess.

LECOM-E had us come to required graduation activities (financial aid counseling, state licensing, awards ceremony) the Thursday/Frtiday before graduation on Sunday. LECOM-SH did all their stuff on Saturday, the day before graduation. Not sure how LECOM-B did it.

Interesting thread -- I think we had to pay for rental and then return them immediately after graduation to be able to grab our diplomas..

But all things in perspective --

Just wait until you see how much the fees are for licensure -- right around $3K in Texas for the initial and then $800 every 2 years, plus around $700 for the DEA number....

just sayin'....

Interesting thread -- I think we had to pay for rental and then return them immediately after graduation to be able to grab our diplomas..

But all things in perspective --

Just wait until you see how much the fees are for licensure -- right around $3K in Texas for the initial and then $800 every 2 years, plus around $700 for the DEA number....

just sayin'....

I think it is a bit different when you've paid a school >200,000 and get little in return. Im cool with paying money to the state for a license, but was a bit pissed when I had to pay to rent a bloody graduation gown for an hour.