Graduation date cut off.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MalekX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

I'm confused regarding the year of graduation.Do they count the years of graduation starting from the graduation date to the time of application or to the time of the beginning of residency ?

So now I graduate in Nov.2007 and I will apply in Sep. 2012 , Will they consider me as an applicant with 5 years since graduation ?

I also have another question, after we graduated from medical school we had to to do a mandatory internship in order to get the diploma , so I finished my internship in March 2009.However my diploma was issued in Dec.2008.

So what's my grdaudation date ?

I already registered for step 1 and I put Nov.2007 as my graduation date but I'm getting older and I hope if there is anyway to change that date .

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, seriously?

The "graduation date" is the date of your graduation. I don't even know from where your ideas come. It's not changeable. Mine was May of 2002. What if you never did residency? Then, by your question, would you even have a graduation date? Of course you would. It's when you received the diploma/sheepskin, irrespective of what you do with it after that.

Your having to do the internship is required to release the diploma, but that was issued when you graduated. I know a guy that went to school in Mexico, but didn't do the internship. He physically doesn't have the diploma, but he has a graduation date.

Dude, seriously?

The "graduation date" is the date of your graduation. I don't even know from where your ideas come. It's not changeable. Mine was May of 2002. What if you never did residency? Then, by your question, would you even have a graduation date? Of course you would. It's when you received the diploma/sheepskin, irrespective of what you do with it after that.

Your having to do the internship is required to release the diploma, but that was issued when you graduated. I know a guy that went to school in Mexico, but didn't do the internship. He physically doesn't have the diploma, but he has a graduation date.

Hi Apollyon , Thanks for your response.

I still have the first question.How do they count the graduation cut off date ? Is it from the graduation date to the time of application or to the time of the beginning of the residency ?

Hi Apollyon , Thanks for your response.

I still have the first question.How do they count the graduation cut off date ? Is it from the graduation date to the time of application or to the time of the beginning of the residency ?

However they want. And they're probably not going to go month-to-month. They're going to see your year of graduation as 2007 and see the current year as 2012 and say, "hey...it's been 5 years."

However they want. And they're probably not going to go month-to-month. They're going to see your year of graduation as 2007 and see the current year as 2012 and say, "hey...it's been 5 years."

yeah I know but what year ? Is it the year when the match begins (2012) or the year when the residency begins ?

yeah I know but what year ? Is it the year when the match begins (2012) or the year when the residency begins ?

Again, what if someone never does residency? It is the date of your graduation - 2007. There is no grey area. I am not sure what is your question, because it just does not make sense.

What if person A graduated, say, 25 May 2011, and went right into residency, and person B graduated that same day from the same school, 25 May 2011, but took a year off. Why would it matter between person A and person B? It wouldn't. For both of them, the graduation day is 25 May 2011, irrespective of whenever they actually do a residency.