graduation dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm applying this year, but I'm taking the August MCAT (I know about the rolling admissions thing)...so anyway, let's say I get in to a school...my problem is that there is a chance that I may not be able to graduate next year...due to unforeseen circumstances (like when classes are being offered, etc.)...if that happens, I can take summer school right before I jet off to med school--but that class over summer will overlap with the med school start date (since it ends August 6). Anyway, is there a chance the med school will let me NOT finish that certain class over summer? Or will they allow me to defer for one year just so I can graduate??? oR will I have to reapply some other time?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Methinks in that situation, someone (be it the med school, the professor of the summer course, or the university that you are graduating from) will be willing to cut you a break.

I don't know if the professor of the class will have any say...and knowing UCLA, they definitely won't cut me a break...

Members don't see this ad :)
UseUrHeadFred said:
Methinks in that situation, someone (be it the med school, the professor of the summer course, or the university that you are graduating from) will be willing to cut you a break.

Ditto. I've been in the similar situation, and advisors are willing to cut some slack with what classes satisfy certain requirements.

Have you actually talked to an advisor or the professor in question?

Good luck in your endevours... :luck:

well, if nothing else works, you think the med school will defer my admission for a year just for that problem??? i'm planning on taking a serious biochem lab next summer, so most likely, i will have to COMPLETE it...otherwise, i can just take the lab during the year, and take some dumb course over teh summer (i have like 3 units of humanities GE left)??

I go to UCLA, what classes do you need to take. 153L from you discription, right? That class is not bad at all, just tedious. Why can't you just take extra classes next year, or take summer school this summer? List what classes you need to take. Plus, the only way L&S will help you out is if you have way over 180 units, say around 210-220. That way you can argue you have at least taken a lot of units. Murphy sucks though, so good luck.

You're MCDB, right?
Well, your best bet is to drop in to Pamela's office (do NOT email her - she seems to be pretty anal and angry in her emails...) and see what she says. I don't know if she will give you any leeway in terms of requirements, but seeing as though everything goes through her to clear you for graduation, she would be the one to go to. The major actually has a lot of options for you to take, so once you've hit the upper divs, it's actually not too hard to finish off the coursework. You just need to plan it out carefully so that you get the core classes (144, 104, 138, 153A/L) and then can have a selection for the rest of your requirements. If you take 4 classes a quarter, you can bulldoze through all those requirements, although it may not be fun... But hey, if you gotta do it it to graduate, you gotta do it....

I don't want to apply next year, I want to apply now...that's why graduating next year is extremely important for me...