graduation gift for future veterinarian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my sister is graduating college this week and i want to get her something she'll need for veterinary school as a graduation present (or something she'd appreciate). i'd love any suggestions

(i've already gotten her a teddy bear dressed up as a veterinarian, and a giant green book - i think my Merek? that's supposed to be useful for vet students for her birthday and Christmas respectively), but i'd appreciate any other suggestions.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from my undergrad school last weekend. I am leaving for vet school that is a great distance away so my family pulled together and got me a card full of cash because they know I am going to need all I can get. The doctor I work for got me a stethoscope and the newest addition of the Merck manual.

No matter what you get her she will be thrilled. I really appreciated the stethoscope from my boss even though it is not a great one, if something ever happens to my good one I will have a backup.

Hope these ideas help.

my stethoscope was an excellent gift from my vet and clinic. that, and they sent me flowers :D

but most vet students will appreciate BINDERS. and any text books or bookstore certificates you can get them since we're all broke.

Members don't see this ad :)
The giant microbes would be pretty fun.

Reactions: 1 user
My boss/work got me a nice white lab coat with my name embroidered on it. It's damn snazzy.

My boss/work got me a nice white lab coat with my name embroidered on it. It's damn snazzy.

Dont wear it to anatomy! It will get ruined very very quickly.

Stethoscopes are good, money is good, bookstore gift certificates are good, registration fees to various professional organizations are good, gift cards to restaurants or gas stations - which seems very unoriginal but I always appreciate a good free meal (that i wouldnt have gotten for myself) especially when Ive been studying nonstop :)

A gift certificate for a free professional massage! I've only had one in my life (had it scheduled an hour after our plane it the ground for our honeymoon), but it was great for the stress. Boy, I wish I had one now! :D

I just bought a filing system so I could store my old notes for future reference easily. That may be an idea.

A nice sweatshirt from the school she got accepted to! That's what I just bought myself... 2 of them actually! :laugh:

There's a site where you can buy a goat, chicken, cow, camel, etc. for a family in a 3rd world country that uses it to help economically and for food (poorly worded, I know, but I can't remember what it was!). I think it may be from here: http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.204586/

Just something different (other than a sweatshirt)!

There are lots of neat suggestions in here! I second the massage idea. :D

Another idea along the lines of school supplies....you could put together a basket of various necessary items. Definitely include highlighters and erasable colored pencils (for anatomy)!

If the student has been working at a rescue or shelter, you might consider a donation in their name. It would be a gift for the student and the shelter, and you might have an opportunity to see where they've been spending a lot of their time.

I donated my own cow on heifer.org when I transferred from cc to the big U. I highly recommend it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the student has been working at a rescue or shelter, you might consider a donation in their name. It would be a gift for the student and the shelter, and you might have an opportunity to see where they've been spending a lot of their time.

I think that's a beautiful idea. I'd be thrilled if someone did that for me. And I actually don't work at a shelter, but I'd still dig a donation to the ASPCA or a local shelter in lieu of a gift. :)

I'm going to the same school the veterinarian I work for graduated from, and she gave me these really nice tumblers with the school logo on them and an amazing magnetic coozie with the school logo on it (great for tailgating). Definitely an alcohol theme, but she told me not to forget the importance of having fun in vet school! Of course, tumblers and coozies can also be used for water, soda, etc. But the point is to remember to live your life :D

Here's the link for tumblers. I usually buy them at the store when I'm down in Sarasota, FL. They have virtually every school with a vet school. (The ivies might be hard to find, though, since they don't have the big sports teams. Although, when we were down at the store, my ex found a Dartmouth one for his best friend.)

Anyway, all my glasses are these tumblers. They're insulated, don't leave rings, and have a lifetime warranty. I have one from every college I've been to. (Which is now 4!!)

http://www.tervis.com/store/retail/catalog.aspx?CID=5

They also have animals, too.

http://www.tervis.com/store/retail/catalog.aspx?CID=2

My graduation wish list:
-$15,000 check to afford 1yr of vet. school
-gas money
-food money:D

To be serious, there's a great website with lots of geeky stuff:

www.thinkgeek.com

I bought a lot of t-shirts there, they have really neat gifts for science/technology-oriented people.

I was going to suggest an embroidered lab coat too, so I second that suggestion. The other thing I wish I had right now (just started first year) is a set of laminated campus maps. Our time is split between 2 campuses, and I have to visit a third occasionally for things, and I'm forever getting lost. If someone with access to a laminating machine would print out the maps of each campus that are on line and laminate them, I'd be thrilled (keep dreaming...). Congrats to your sister!!

I was going to suggest an embroidered lab coat too, so I second that suggestion. The other thing I wish I had right now (just started first year) is a set of laminated campus maps. Our time is split between 2 campuses, and I have to visit a third occasionally for things, and I'm forever getting lost. If someone with access to a laminating machine would print out the maps of each campus that are on line and laminate them, I'd be thrilled (keep dreaming...). Congrats to your sister!!
This thread is over six years old. ;)

Ah, so I see... this is the danger of going on SDN before coffee!

Reactions: 1 user
I could be robotic... are a couple of titanium screws in my knees enough to make me robotic, or just screwed up? (If I ever say I feel like I have a screw loose, I may not be kidding....) Whatever it makes me, that thing still needs coffee!

I could be robotic... are a couple of titanium screws in my knees enough to make me robotic, or just screwed up? (If I ever say I feel like I have a screw loose, I may not be kidding....) Whatever it makes me, that thing still needs coffee!
sure, you can be robotic if you want.

beep boop beep (yay, I can be a robot ;) )