Graft?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be considered graft if a pharmacist asks his/her patient, who he knows to be a cop for things like PBA Cards(they get you out of getting tickets), or for cancelling tickets/dismissing cases.

Now, the pharmacist isn't saying that he/she is going to refuse to do anything for the patient, but the pharmacist is asking the patient for a favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be considered graft if a pharmacist asks his/her patient, who he knows to be a cop for things like PBA Cards(they get you out of getting tickets), or for cancelling tickets/dismissing cases.

Now, the pharmacist isn't saying that he/she is going to refuse to do anything for the patient, but the pharmacist is asking the patient for a favor.

Why on earth would you do this? is the patient coming up to you and saying "hey doc, you mind slipping a few extra oxy in that bottle?" If so then maybe you have grounds to ask him for a get out of jail free card. Other than that I think asking your cop patient for a favor which allows you to break the law, simply because you're filling his medications, is downright dumb. What gives you any more right to do this than the person ringing up his groceries, or giving him his double bacon cheeseburger, or re-doing his kitchen?

Is this a serious question? You have a professional relationship with the patient, no more, no less. You're going down a slippery slope if you're even thinking like this as a P1.

Professional misconduct is a lot worse than a ticket you got for driving like a schmuck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're asking as a friend I don't see the problem.
If you're asking as a health care professional you're an idiot.

Why on earth would you do this? is the patient coming up to you and saying "hey doc, you mind slipping a few extra oxy in that bottle?" If so then maybe you have grounds to ask him for a get out of jail free card. Other than that I think asking your cop patient for a favor which allows you to break the law, simply because you're filling his medications, is downright dumb. What gives you any more right to do this than the person ringing up his groceries, or giving him his double bacon cheeseburger, or re-doing his kitchen?

Well, I mean, here's a conversation that I witnessed between the pharmacist and the patient who's been coming for a few years:

Pharmacist - Hey, Joe(fake name), how was your shift?
Joe - Boring, but that's a good thing. I need refills on my HCTZ and Simvastatin.
Pharmacist - Sure thing, just give me a couple of minutes.

They continue to talk for a few minutes...

Pharmacist - By the way, do you know where people get PBA cards?
Joe - Yeah, police officers usually give them out to people they know, *takes out his wallet*, here, take a couple.

Pharmacist - By the way, do you know where people get PBA cards?
Joe - Yeah, police officers usually give them out to people they know, *takes out his wallet*, here, take a couple.

Question should have never been asked; gift should have never been accepted.

How do you think a pharmacist accepting a favor from a police officer (in the pharmacy, no less) would look to an outsider? If the wrong customer or a corporate higher-up sees it, that's an official reprimand waiting to happen.

Question should have never been asked; gift should have never been accepted.

I see it as an innocent question, he simply asked where people obtained them. From the context here, it doesn't look like he was trying to get anything out of it.

A local cop doesn't wait for his scripts, cause he did a favor for one of the pharmacists. Some fireworks within city limits citation or something or another.

PBA cards don't exactly get you out of a ticket. When you get pulled over the idea is that you hand it over to the officer with your license and paperwork. The card will initiate the conversation "who are you related to that is an officer?" These cards are meant to be given to the officer's family/spouse. When the pharmacist says oh, my friend officer so and so but I don't know anything about him that I am legally able to tell you. The officer is unlikely to refrain from issuing a ticket for that reason. PBA tickets are for a matter of "professional courtesy". Most officers don't want to issue tickets to family of a fellow officer. However, there are many officers who will issue tickets to other officers/family anyways and a PBA card is not worth anything for any type of serious offense (DUI, excessive speeding, etc). They are only for moving violations in which the officer already possesses discretion. The officer who gave the pharmacist these cards was out of line, and so was the pharmacist for leaning the conversation that way.

I have no idea what you just said? Why wouldn't a cop wait for his scripts?
It's called 'he did a favor for the pharmacist and now he gets his scripts expedited'.
I hope plain English still works...

It's called 'he did a favor for the pharmacist and now he gets his scripts expedited'.
I hope plain English still works...

You didn't read that conversation correctly. The pharmacist already took the refills from the cop and I was counting them out as they were talking, he asked about the PBA card when he was verifying them out.

Thus, the cop didn't give him the PBA card until he started to ring him up.

PBA cards don't exactly get you out of a ticket. When you get pulled over the idea is that you hand it over to the officer with your license and paperwork. The card will initiate the conversation "who are you related to that is an officer?" These cards are meant to be given to the officer's family/spouse. When the pharmacist says oh, my friend officer so and so but I don't know anything about him that I am legally able to tell you. The officer is unlikely to refrain from issuing a ticket for that reason. PBA tickets are for a matter of "professional courtesy". Most officers don't want to issue tickets to family of a fellow officer. However, there are many officers who will issue tickets to other officers/family anyways and a PBA card is not worth anything for any type of serious offense (DUI, excessive speeding, etc). They are only for moving violations in which the officer already possesses discretion. The officer who gave the pharmacist these cards was out of line, and so was the pharmacist for leaning the conversation that way.

My 16 year old brother got pulled over the other day for running a red light, my mom was in the car. She handed the PBA card along with the registration/insurance. The cop let them go.

Now, I'm not so sure if this would have worked out when I got pulled over for the 85 in a 55.

You didn't read that conversation correctly. The pharmacist already took the refills from the cop and I was counting them out as they were talking, he asked about the PBA card when he was verifying them out.

Thus, the cop didn't give him the PBA card until he started to ring him up.
But what does the cop get in return now that he gave up a PBA card? Nothing? Maybe. Maybe not.

His scripts would be pumped out like antibiotics during cold season over here, fast and furious. Do you see my point? The pharmacist over there might have to repay the favor later on down the road. He might have to clip the cop's toe nails upon request or make him a submarine sandwich with extra mayo. :smuggrin:

Either way, I would think that the PBA card transaction is suspect to something down the road that is unforeseen at the moment. It wasn't wrong for the pharmacist to get the card, but it probably wasn't a simple gesture either.

But what does the cop get in return now that he gave up a PBA card? Nothing? Maybe. Maybe not.

His scripts would be pumped out like antibiotics during cold season over here, fast and furious. Do you see my point? The pharmacist over there might have to repay the favor later on down the road. He might have to clip the cop's toe nails upon request or make him a submarine sandwich with extra mayo. :smuggrin:

Either way, I would think that the PBA card transaction is suspect to something down the road that is unforeseen at the moment. It wasn't wrong for the pharmacist to get the card, but it probably wasn't a simple gesture either.

Maybe I don't know how the PBA Cards work but I thought that cops have a crapload of them and just give them out to everyone they know well.

Correct me if I'm wrong?