Gram Staining: Purple + Red = Blue???

Started by Gauss44
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gauss44

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this accurate, and if so, why?...

Gram positive bacteria previously stained with crystal violet retain the violet color after being rinsed with alcohol. (Okay, so they're purple or violet.) Then, a red-colored counter-stain called, safranin is added. "The purple colored gram-positive bacteria pick up the red stain and now appear blue."

This seems odd to me: purple+red=blue? If I were to mix purple and red paint, I don't think I would get blue.

Please explain.
 
Wait where you getting this from? From what I remember about gram staining and what I googled, safranin is a pretty strong counterstain so the bacteria would look red/pink, not blue. Did a color blind person write this?
 
Is this accurate, and if so, why?...

Gram positive bacteria previously stained with crystal violet retain the violet color after being rinsed with alcohol. (Okay, so they're purple or violet.) Then, a red-colored counter-stain called, safranin is added. "The purple colored gram-positive bacteria pick up the red stain and now appear blue."

This seems odd to me: purple+red=blue? If I were to mix purple and red paint, I don't think I would get blue.

Please explain.
Well the key thing to realize is that both Gram + and - pick up the safranin stain. Initially we do 1. Crystal Violet 2. Alcohol wash - For gram negative, the alcohol removes the stain from Gram - bacteria, but because of the thick layer in Gram +, it is retained. 3. Safranin - both pick up the stain (red), however, because Gram + also have the violet stain, it appears violet. The violet stain masks the red safranin stain.

Also, the red is almost pinkish in color. It's not a strong red like you're thinking, hence why the purple stain masks it.