Grand Rounds... an AMCAS thang?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I presented my study at surgery grand rounds today. (And if any of you who were there are reading this now, be kind. I know I sucked. Just... be kind, or at least give me an rx for beta blockers for the next time.)

My suckage aside, is this kind of thing something I should put on my med school app? And if so, how? Where would it go?

Thanks.

S., who loathes public speaking.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have an extra slot, list it as "presentation". Most people don't present at Grand Rounds until they're faculty members for a half dozen years, so your achievement is notable.

Yes. Definately put it in there. Congrats, I had to present my research at the American College of Surgeons, definately put that in my activities on AMCAS. I also won an award for best student presentation (even though everyone was MS-IV and I was an UG-III) but I still would have listed it if I didnt.

You should bill the dept. of surgery for new underwear. I still remember how nervous I was getting in front of 50+ surgeons talking about stuff that they knew WAY more than me. Congrats again.

You should bill the dept. of surgery for new underwear.

:laugh: I'll take that under advisment.

Thanks, everyone! LizzyM, I'm taking your advice. It just seemed like such a one-off kind of thing (um, 'cause it is, haha), and then my husband said, "Are you putting it on your application?"

:idea:

So, I guess I am!

S.

It's a lecture given for an hour or two to residents (and sometimes med students) by attendings and whatnot. (I am now, officially, whatnot). Usually, a few speakers on a specific topic. And each department has their own. In our department, residents usually present something as well.

Hope that helps... if others have better definitions, feel free.

Way back when, grand rounds actually included the presentation of a real, live patient, in the flesh, who was examined and questioned before the audience as an introduction to the topic on which the speaker would expound. In some cases, the patient's diagnosis was not revealed until the end of the hour. Richard Selzer published a quite funny essay about being a student preparing a patient to be presented at Grand Rounds. (Was that in Down From Troy? I don't remember.) This way of doing things has pretty much gone out of fashion.

Grand rounds has become a one hour lecture, generally held once each week (during the academic year or year round) for faculty, housestaff and "whatnots" as well as medical students (in some instances). Each department holds its own Grand Rounds (medical grand rounds, OB/GYN grand rounds, surgical grand rounds, etc). Speakers come from within the department as well as invited guests. Sometimes a "named" lecture is given during grand rounds and the income from an endowment is used to pay the guest speaker's travel expenses and a stipend (sometimes there's a plaque or memento of the occasion). Because the entire department is (or should be) present for grand rounds, it is also an occasion to give teaching awards and other such stuff on a recurring basis.

If you have an extra slot, list it as "presentation". Most people don't present at Grand Rounds until they're faculty members for a half dozen years, so your achievement is notable.

I was also going to say I think you don't usually present at Grand Rounds unitil residency or later...that's definitely worth a slot! Congrats!