Gratitude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On this day seven years ago, my mother passed away. She was a clinical laboratory scientist and was infected by a sample she was identifying. It was a violent, horrid illness (meningococcemia). I can still picture the ICU room and hear the monitors. It feels like yesterday.

On this day more than ever, I am compelled to thank my mom. The dream to become a physician is my own, but she is directly responsible for the drive, confidence, and experiences that have allowed me to realize that dream. I would guess that the vast majority of us here owe a debt of gratitude to someone along the way. Feel free to post yours.

Here is mine:

Thank you mom. Thank you for telling me I was brilliant so often I actually began to believe it was true. Thank you for your unwavering faith in me. Thank you for your kindness and integrity. Thank you for your smile (I get compliments on it often). Thank you for introducing me to science, and for letting me tag along in your lab. Thank you for showing me what a strong woman should look like. Thank you for excelling at work, and still finding the time to be a soccer mom. Thank you for our lunches, our movies, and our dances in the living room.

I’ve done it mom. I married my best friend, had a baby (named after dad), graduated from college, and was accepted into medical school. Thank you for giving the best of me, and for giving me the strength to go on without you. I hope I’ve made you proud.

All my love
Today, tomorrow and always,

Missy moo

Members don't see this ad.

On this day seven years ago, my mother passed away. She was a clinical laboratory scientist and was infected by a sample she was identifying. It was a violent, horrid illness (meningococcemia). I can still picture the ICU room and hear the monitors. It feels like yesterday.

On this day more than ever, I am compelled to thank my mom. The dream to become a physician is my own, but she is directly responsible for the drive, confidence, and experiences that have allowed me to realize that dream. I would guess that the vast majority of us here owe a debt of gratitude to someone along the way. Feel free to post yours.

Here is mine:

Thank you mom. Thank you for telling me I was brilliant so often I actually began to believe it was true. Thank you for your unwavering faith in me. Thank you for your kindness and integrity. Thank you for your smile (I get compliments on it often). Thank you for introducing me to science, and for letting me tag along in your lab. Thank you for showing me what a strong woman should look like. Thank you for excelling at work, and still finding the time to be a soccer mom. Thank you for our lunches, our movies, and our dances in the living room.

I’ve done it mom. I married my best friend, had a baby (named after dad), graduated from college, and was accepted into medical school. Thank you for giving the best of me, and for giving me the strength to go on without you. I hope I’ve made you proud.

All my love
Today, tomorrow and always,

Missy moo

I am very proud of your mom in being a great role model to you, just like your mom must be very proud of you getting into medical school.

The strength or our relationships with our loved ones is not weakened when they die. They live on in us in our works and in the way we relate to those around us, especially, for those of us who are parents, with our children. Above all, I remember the way my father taught us to respect and become friends with people from all backgrounds and all walks of life. This is among the most important lessons I've used in medicine and try to impart upon my children.

Congratulations on going to medical school Melissainsd and thanks for sharing with SDN a lovely tribute to your mother.

Regards

OBP