GRE - biology

Started by lailanni
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

How many of you have taken the GRE - Biology?

What's on it? Biology (duh) -- but our bookstore isn't fancy enough to have a GRE Bio prep book. So what specific biology topics did you encounter?

I've heard ecology is on there too?

I know I could find it if I googled, but I trust your experience more than the internet 🙂
 
Well, at the ETS site there is the practice booklet that they will send you when you sign up. I apologize for the long link, but this is where you can find it.

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc3921509/?vgnextoid=e7952d3631df4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchannel=6ef946f1674f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

That tells you best what's on it I think. I took it, and it was fairly challenging but not anything terrible. It was a lot like my department's exit exam that we're required to take. If you have any more specific questions that aren't answered in the handbook let me know!
 
My strategy was this: I did the last 50 questions first. They are the toughest while they are based on hypothetical experiments. The first 150 to me were much eaiser. I did those last.

Know evolution, a little ecology, mitosis, meiosis, DNA replication, trancription, translation. Also, know these three plants cells: paraenchyma, sclerenchyma, and collenchyma. They are factual recall and therefore free points. Also know the geological time scale. Know your plant hormones (there are 5).

I type up a study guide for my bio kids, you may find it helpful? If you email me I can send it your way.