GRE for Optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shootingstar321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it true that most schools accept the GRE instead of the OAT for optometry school? I would rather take the GRE. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or has anyone applied with just GRE.

Also, do I need organic chemistry 2? I already took organic chemistry 1 and I hated it so I don't want to take 2 unless I have too.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not say that MOST schools accept the GRE. There are certain schools (indiana, ohio, Tennessee, and Manchester) that do. I would highly recommend taking the OAT as it will make you more competitive

I think some schools do require orgo 2 and some don't (I think maybe most dont), probably the best thing to do for that would be to look at the schools you're interested and see what their specific requirements are

Reactions: 1 user
I advise my students to take more than just the minimum number of classes so that they are not limited in the number of schools to apply to.

look at the requirements for the schools you are applying to as far as Orgo goes. I know in my situation my undergrad school required Orgo 2 in order to take the Orgo Lab, which all the optometry schools I looked at required, but none actually specified more than one semester of Orgo lecture. I was not aware of any schools allowing the GRE honestly, I think it would look far better and make you a more competitive applicant if you took the OAT. Use Chad's videos for a few months and you'll be golden.