GRE practice test scared me!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynne8832

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t remember their policy for rescheduling, but I think at this point it would just be a like a $30 charge for you to reschedule, right? I’d advise you give yourself a few months to study. There are tons of topics on GRE studying advice so I’ll leave it at that.

First though, consider if you really need the GRE. If the only schools you’re apllying to this cycle don’t absolutely require it, it might be best for you not to submit one. A 3.79 GPA (provided your last 45 and science GPA are also good) isn’t something you need to make up for/prove you’re improving from. A 293 would just bring down your application and getting a better score vs just not submitting might not be worth the hundreds of dollars the GRE costs and the dozens/hundreds of hours of studying it could take to get a score you’re satisfied with on practice tests.

I’d study for the next few weeks and see if your practice exam scores improve- I know for me if I had taken a practice test without studying, I would’ve scored really low because so much of it is things that you learned forever ago- like 6 years since I took the relevant math courses. Of course you can’t be expected to score amazingly with zero prep on things you learned forever ago! My scores on the real thing were also significantly higher than what Magoosh had predicted for me since I did practice questions throughout as I relearned the material, but it was still factoring in those old questions I’d taken just to see if I remembered anything. I’d check whatever is the latest date you can reschedule it to if need be (scores only take a few weeks to be fully released so there’s no worry about taking it a bit later if need be), study well, and see how your practice tests improve. If you’re still not happy with your projected scores by the time you’re about to take the test, I’d postpone it a bit, but I think you’ll be surprised at how much you can relearn and improve in just a few weeks!

Reactions: 1 user
I used Magoosh for the GRE and really only did their advanced 1 month plan bc I’m a pretty good test taker. I’d say don’t stress bc the questions on Magoosh are HARDER than the actual GRE! I think they do it so that when you get your actual score and it’s higher, you assume Magoosh helped you. So don’t stress. That’s just a baseline score. The GRE is really just about how you *think* not about what you *know* so learn the patterns of thinking that Magoosh gives you and you’ll be fine! I felt discouraged after I took the practice test but you’ve got time. If you’re really worried I’d reschedule for maybe a month later but if you’re okay at standardized tests then just take the next few weeks to work the rust off and take it!