GRE question - too soon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aura5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question. I am not ready to apply to schools yet, nor do I even know which ones I want to apply to. I hope one day to get a PsyD in clinical psych, but have a long way to go. Considering maybe a master's first to catch up on research exp/L.o.R's, etc. first...I'm not sure.

Anyway, I was under self-pressure to be getting thing after thing after thing done, and went ahead and signed up for the general GRE in January, and the psychology subject GRE in April.

First, is the pych one even necessary for most programs? And second, should I just maybe cancel those dates and try for it later, after I have had more time to prepare, and closer to when I might actually KNOW what schools to send them to, lol? I haven't done much practice for the general, and would need to catch up quite a bit for the psych one.

I'm just wondering if I did this backwards. Taking the GRE yet not even knowing which schools to send them to yet, or when exactly I'll even apply. I'm thinking more for the 2009 year...so, yeah. Any advice?

Hope this post made some sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it too early, most schools only accept scores that are four years old. You want to leave yourself a cushion in case you don't get in.

Plus... you end up paying more if you don't know what schools to send your scores to right away. I would recommend taking the psych GRE in the April before your applications go out and the general in May or June of that year. That's what I did and the timeline was quite manageable.

Yep, that's just what I was going to say. Take the GREs in the summer before you apply. It's helpful to know at least 3 or 4 schools you're applying to, because you can sign up that day to have them sent to those schools and not pay extra for it (I can't remember how many...I think 4). Otherwise it's $15.00 per school to send them later on. No point in stressing yourself out about it and doing it now.

Also, some schools require the Psych GRE and a lot of schools say it is "preferred." Taking them in April is a good idea. If you don't do well, you can take them again in November which will give you *just* enough time to get them in with your apps that fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. Thank you both for your advice. See, the thing is, I'm not sure exactly when I want to apply. At the earliest, it would be next fall. Then it seems I SHOULD keep the GRE scheduled for April. But I'm not sure I have enough of my stuff together to be able to be ready by then. Ack!

But at the moment, I don't know of schools I want to apply to for sure. And certainly won't by January, I don't think, which is when I scheduled the general one. Hmm.

Maybe I should keep the April psychology one, but reschedule the general for the summer, like you two suggested. Gives me a little more breathing room...

I would suggest taking the general first. January seems a bit early unless you have a lot of time you will be able to spend studying. I took my general test in the summer and had NO clue where I would be applying. When I found out my score, it gave me some guidance on programs I would have a chance at given my stats. I did waste the free scores to send out at the test (sent them to schools I am not even applying at).

After researching schools I started emailing professors to see if they were taking students (I am looking PhD, not sure if you need to "match" for PsyD). I would say summer is going to be the earliest point they will be able to give a definitive answer.

Then I looked at my list and had 4 schools that required the psych GREs, I took it in Oct. The only bad thing about that is that I am now just finding out my results from the test and had to send them out blindly.

Good luck to you.

Good advice, thank you.

Hmm...*taps fingers* I'll figure this thing out somehow lol...