Other OT-Related Information GRE Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot_life09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum but I've been stalking it for a long time! So I finally decided join. So thanks to anyone who is reading and willing to advise.

I'm a college grad ('13 Psychology). I currently work f/t.

This February I began by studying for the GRE. I studied for 6 months but fell short of my goal due to many distractions in my personal life. (I was a maid of honor at the time, my mom had sugery, my sister became very depressed and dependent on me, etc.) My score was 150 V 154 Q 4.0 AWA.

I took again this week, in hopes of improving my verbal score to achieve above 50%ile mark. I got the same exact score (unofficially)! I studied everyday for 2 hours for 3 weeks, so I honestly was pretty devastated.

I just want to know should I bother taking it again? I feel a bit discouraged because my GPA is a 3.4. I had to work during undergrad alot so I couldnt dedicate all my time to my studies. I still have remaining prerequisites like A&P I & II. I'm starting class this fall and doing observation hours, so time is not really on my side. Plus my mother is getting another surgery! Some schools I plan on applying to next yr are: Stockton, Kean, Temple, UPITT

Any help or insight is appreciated

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ot_life09!

How were you scoring on practice tests? What study materials did you use?

I'm not quite sure if 3 weeks is enough time to improve one's score; I would recommend a minimum of 3 months. As a personal example, I improved 3 points on my GRE score and that took 3 months of studying every day for a couple hours. You can totally improve; it just might take some more time. In terms of practice materials, I've heard lots of people recommend Magoosh online prep and Manhattan prep books.

I completely empathize with personal problems affecting other facets of our lives; I've been there and I'm rooting for you!
Hi 10ninja!

Thank you so much for your response. The first time around I was using magoosh & the Manhattan 5lb book for practice. I also used manhattan flashcards (1000 words in total), listened to vocab podcasts, and studied vocab as much as possible.

As far as my practice tests, I started off scoring 152 V and 155 Q. My practice tests with Magoosh improved with time esp. on the verbal. I exhausted all the questions so it reached a point where my scores were inflated (I scored a 160 twice consecutively ). I was shocked to receive a 150 on the actual gre. My quantitative score was closer to my practice tests, but not the verbal.

The second time I bought the Manhattan prep book for reading comprehension. I was content with my quantitative score so I decided to focus on verbal. I learned new strategies and I took 3 MP practice tests. My scores were 157-156-157.

Maybe it was a bit ambitious to think I could improve my score in 3 wks, but it was what I had to work with. I just know that I can do much better, so the process is a bit frustrating. How was your experience with the gre?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk