GRE requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ptgirl8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm contemplating applying for PT school in November. I took the GRE last weekend and got a 143 in verbal reasoning (low, I know) and a 155 in the math section, which is great. But that only equals a 298, which is not impressive. I want to apply to MUSC, st. Augustine, and University of South Carolina. But my main focus is MUSC. My Overall GPA is a 3.2. My major GPA is a 3.6 though. I go to a liberal arts college so that's primarily what weighed down my overall GPA. Do you think these scores are competitive? Or would it be smarter to wait a year and get a better GRE score and build up my resume?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your pre-req GPA? (if you don't know, figure that out now). I don't know about the schools you listed specifically but if you don't meet the minimum GRE score, don't apply this cycle (Do any of them have minimum GRE scores?). Are you finished with all pre reqs? Do you have plenty of observation hours? We will be able to give you a better answer with that information.

So I'm contemplating applying for PT school in November. I took the GRE last weekend and got a 143 in verbal reasoning (low, I know) and a 155 in the math section, which is great. But that only equals a 298, which is not impressive. I want to apply to MUSC, st. Augustine, and University of South Carolina. But my main focus is MUSC. My Overall GPA is a 3.2. My major GPA is a 3.6 though. I go to a liberal arts college so that's primarily what weighed down my overall GPA. Do you think these scores are competitive? Or would it be smarter to wait a year and get a better GRE score and build up my resume?

I think your asking the wrong people, email the school and ask them what they think. I was in a similar situation: my GRE was a total of 298 combined but I did get a 5 on AW and had a 3.7 GPA. I still emailed the schools and most of them told got back to me and told me whether or not my GRE scores would impact my opportunity to get in. I applied to 6 schools and already had 3 interviews so far. Don't listen to people that say to not apply but you need to submit ASAP and do your research. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm personally not familiar with any of these three schools so I did some google searches and this is what I got from their websites and PTCAS pages:

-MUSC states that GREs must be taken before September 15, 2015 in order for the scores to be received by their deadlines (does not specify any minimum score requirements)
-St. Augustine requires a combined minimum of 294 (revised GRE) or 1000 (old GRE)
-University of South Carolina requires a minimum of 146-V (29%), 146-Q (25%), and a 3.5-AW (38%). Overall combined must also be at least a 300 (last acceptable GRE test date for this cycle is 11/1/15)

Just to be on the safe side, I would contact each school's admission office to get a definite answer. Good luck!

My pre-req GPA seems to be a 3.1. I have completed my pre-reqs. MUSC does not post a minimum GRE requirement. However USC does apparently and I don't meet the requirement for verbal reasoning. I also have 50 volunteer hours, which is enough for MUSC but I'm still working on them.

I think your asking the wrong people, email the school and ask them what they think. I was in a similar situation: my GRE was a total of 298 combined but I did get a 5 on AW and had a 3.7 GPA. I still emailed the schools and most of them told got back to me and told me whether or not my GRE scores would impact my opportunity to get in. I applied to 6 schools and already had 3 interviews so far. Don't listen to people that say to not apply but you need to submit ASAP and do your research. Good luck!
I emailed MUSC today and they told me that my quantitative score is above average and it's the score that's weighed more heavily