GRE Score Advice

Started by Ashley33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ashley33

Full Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My original GRE Scores were pretty low Verbal: 148 Quantitative: 147 and Writing 4.0. I have already sent them in to every where I applied. I just retook the GRE and my writing stayed the same, my Verbal went up to 155 but my Quantitative went down a point to 146. Would it help me to send in these new scores to schools even with the lower quantitative? Appreciate any advice thanks
 
I say definitely. My scores were basically identical to yours. It's a matter of the school taking the highest score from each section that you'll need to be cautious of. Some schools take from one test.
 
I was thinking if I am to send them in I would have to just send the lower math from the most recent test since they already have the previous scores, it would be obvious my math had gone down if I don't send it? Hoping since it's only a point the 7 point increase will outweigh it. Thanks for the input!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My GRE scores are very low: 142 verbal 149 math 4.0 writing
My GPA is a 3.96, so hopefully that balanced it out

I don't think it influenced my application very much, as I have been invited to interview at my top schools. So DO NOT worry about GRE scores, DO NOT LET THEM DETER YOU!!

I was accepted into Stony Brook and invited to interview at Columbia (my top 2)
 
My original GRE Scores were pretty low Verbal: 148 Quantitative: 147 and Writing 4.0. I have already sent them in to every where I applied. I just retook the GRE and my writing stayed the same, my Verbal went up to 155 but my Quantitative went down a point to 146. Would it help me to send in these new scores to schools even with the lower quantitative? Appreciate any advice thanks

That's a big jump with verbal- nice job! If you're already past school app deadlines, it's hard to know if schools will consider a new GRE score. I would contact your programs and ask first before paying to send scores. If you aren't past school deadlines, and the cost isn't an issue for you, my vote is to send over your new score. The big increase in verbal outweighs a one point decrease in math, in my opinion, even if they don't take the highest score from each section.