GRE Score Discrepancy

Started by abePT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

abePT

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! For many of us the waiting game is real. I just retook the GRE and want to know your thoughts on this notable score discrepancy and how it might affect my chances.

1st attempt at the GRE I scored 155V, 149Q, and 4.0AW. This was in September. Last week I retook it and I scored 162V, 150Q, with my AW score pending.

As you can see, there's a notable discrepancy in my V and Q scores. No matter how good I felt about my practice problems for Q, on test day the questions seem to be of a different language. This is strange to me because I received As in Chem sequence, and currently acing my physics I. Likewise I also received As in topics like biomechanics. I am not sure if it's the way of thinking that I'm lacking when tackling these problems, or what. Because when I have to APPLY math, as done in the above courses, I get it. But with Q portion of GRE, I'm at a loss.

Do you think programs will be concerned by this? A huge reason I retook the GRE was because my initial 149Q didn't meet the minimum. And now that I improved my score by ONE point, I meet that minimum I really needed in Q (which is kind of sad since lots of hours of studying went in and only a one point increase resulted).
 
Dude, you're going to be fine! As long as you meet the minimum requirements, you're going to have a chance. I'm really impressed with your verbal score, and PT schools will take notice of that, knowing that having a good verbal knowledge/communication is going to be key to be successful in PT school and in the profession. I'm actually your opposite (152V, 161Q, 4.5AW). I kinda wish I had a higher verbal score, but I got 3 interviews this cycle with a decent GPA (3.7), so GRE is not everything.