GRE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinfire06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am waiting to take the GRE's over again (due to a low score) in January and haven't applied to schools yet should I include my first time taking it or omit it from the application on PTCAS? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't apply to schools yet ?! what was your first score ?

they are going to see both scores anyway when they ask for your official GRE paperwork. might as well apply asap then when you retake you will hopefully be able to show improvement. no sense in wasting time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools probably won't even accept your January scores for this year - unless they have later deadlines, which I guess is probably the case if you haven't applied yet.
Look on each school's PTCAS page under "last acceptable testing date" in the GRE section to be sure but you should definitely apply ASAP either way

You need to report both sets of scores on PTCAS - like the person above said they will see them both anyways, unless that is your old scores are more than 5 years old, which I'm assuming they are not

Most schools probably won't even accept your January scores for this year - unless they have later deadlines, which I guess is probably the case if you haven't applied yet.
Look on each school's PTCAS page under "last acceptable testing date" in the GRE section to be sure
but you should definitely apply ASAP either way

This is a good point; however, I found myself in a similar situation (Jan GRE scheduled) and contacted one of my schools directly. Their PTCAS app deadline is Jan 14th, but their GRE deadline was listed as Dec 17th. The school also has a soft "deadline" and no rolling admissions. I flat-out asked the rep if there was any use in reporting my scores past the deadline or if it would be a waste of everybody's time to do so. She said, "Certainly. You can always just report the scores directly to us."

So, Spinfire06... there's always hope. :) Do note, however, that while I am entering the 2010-2011 application cycle, I am also not banking on anything. I think I have a more realistic shot for 2012 entrance. You might want to take that approach as well. Give it a shot this year, but know that you are probably realistically aiming for next year's cycle.

Here's the cold reality...You should probably wait until next year to apply because you are wayyyy behind on apps. Also, no matter what every school will see all your GRE scores, you don't get to pick and choose which scores you send where. Good luck though!

If I am waiting to take the GRE's over again (due to a low score) in January and haven't applied to schools yet should I include my first time taking it or omit it from the application on PTCAS? Thanks.

How low was your score? I had a VERY low GRE score... I applied at the end of September to four schools. I've been accepted at one, waitlisted at another, and I haven't heard back from the other two.

When I say low... I mean LOW!

The schools I am applying to have late deadlines. Also, my PTCAS app is ready to go I was just wating for my grades to come in from this semester.

If it is not seriously low, you should ust apply. most schools only need the minimum cutoff gre score or around and alot of other factors count such as interview, essay, your undergrad gpa.

If it is not seriously low, you should ust apply. most schools only need the minimum cutoff gre score or around and alot of other factors count such as interview, essay, your undergrad gpa.
As someone mentioned previously, your current and prior GRE scores will be sent so the schools will see older GRE's. Also, remember it's just one factor in the application screening process (as buruburudoku states) so don't worry about them at this point. My weren't great the 2nd time I took the test and I'm still getting interviews for the 2011 classes.

I am hoping I can get some advice as I gear up to apply this upcoming summer/fall for PT school. I have not yet taken the GRE and have been looking on the website to register. I have looked at the PT schools I want to apply to and most want the GRE scores starting in October through December 2011. On the GRE website it says that they will send the scores out 10 to 15 days after you take the general test. Do I still put down the schools I am going to apply to for my scores to be sent out even though I will not be applying until July/August for admission into PT school for Fall 2012? Or should I wait and have my scores sent out when my PT school apps. go out? I plan on taking the test in March of this year.

I am hoping I can get some advice as I gear up to apply this upcoming summer/fall for PT school. I have not yet taken the GRE and have been looking on the website to register. I have looked at the PT schools I want to apply to and most want the GRE scores starting in October through December 2011. On the GRE website it says that they will send the scores out 10 to 15 days after you take the general test. Do I still put down the schools I am going to apply to for my scores to be sent out even though I will not be applying until July/August for admission into PT school for Fall 2012? Or should I wait and have my scores sent out when my PT school apps. go out? I plan on taking the test in March of this year.
Strictly my advice: use the time between now and maybe August to "study" for the GRE and take it in August. That will give you time to prepare for the test and get the results to the schools you're targeting in plenty of time. Unless, of course, you feel you will be ready for the GRE in March in which case, I don't think it matters that ETS will send your results within 15 days of taking the test - your programs will have the results on file when your app arrives later in the year.

Be aware that the GRE is changing formats starting in August. I recommend taking it no later than July, as ETS has indicated that scores for exams taken in August will not be released until mid-November. That is after the application deadline for many PT programs.

Thanks to you both for the advice and info. I read something on the ETS web site about the test format changing and was confused since I have yet to take it once, but I would like to get the original GRE done with, instead of having to worry about a newly formatted GRE! I am just going to have to study hard and see about taking it in March/April even though it would be nice to study for an extra few months.

adh,

I am not a great test taker so I used a whole month and a half to do nothing but study. I shut off my cable..wasn't taking classes at that time (not that you can change that if you are) and dedicated myself to studying every day. I used a GRE book and flash cards and the book's cd and it worked really well. I think a little more time would have increased my score a little, but it's hard to study for one thing that long. I would recommend not giving yourself months to study as that can backfire with procrastination etc. Also, make sure you take the school's codes that you think you want to apply to. ETS gives you 4 or 5 for free but you have to select them at the end of your test.

Best of luck!

I agree with that way of thinking Clemsongrad! Especially me knowing myself and if I spread it out too long I may not study as hard as I could by just getting to it and getting the test taken. I have been studying already for a month or so and I don't feel super worried about the test, it's just the fear of the unknown I guess. It would be another thing off my list though, not that I am not taking it seriously enough, I just feel like too much time of dragging out the wait could possibly hurt my studying habits more then helping it! And I will make sure to get the codes for my schools in order, thanks!