sfnix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
BM, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
Should i take the GRE if my SAT was 1290? I only took the test once and new my score was good enough to get into the state school i am now finishing at, i did not know however i would eventually want to do a post bac premed program.

I'm only applying to the competitve programs with linkages (would like to skip glide year if at all possible). if i don't get in, I will be staying in state and taking the courses at a state school and take the glide year like a big boy. I'm applying to Goucher, JHU, Tufts, and UCONN. Goucher being first choice (as it is for many on these boards). I have pretty nice ecs and was just issued a grant by USAID to take part in a drug prevention campaign in Russia for 2 months, otherwise would have applied for matriculation this fall.

any ideas would be great, especially from those that attended any of the programs listed above. thanks in advance.

etikit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Chicago, IL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I dont think your SAT is even looked at by this point. You should research each program and then determine what they need. Eventually you are going to have to take the MCAT, so if you think you could do well on it, I would take that. The GRE is a breeze compared to the MCAT in my opinion.

I took the GRE to get into BU's m.a. in medical sciences, and I am now taking the MCAT before starting classes.

Other programs would not accept the GRE, some would some won't, all accepted the MCAT. Although, I did not look into any of the programs you listed.

oneandonlylo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Washington, DC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
On the other hand, there are a few programs that require the GREs for admission, and I know of at least one (Columbia) that requested your SAT scores as well.

Additionally, I know in my research I came across programs that would not accept you if you had already taken the MCAT.

etikit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Chicago, IL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
oneandonlylo said:
On the other hand, there are a few programs that require the GREs for admission, and I know of at least one (Columbia) that requested your SAT scores as well.

Additionally, I know in my research I came across programs that would not accept you if you had already taken the MCAT.

sorry, i didnt read that you were doing a pre-med post bacc....disregaurd my info...it only applies to post bacc programs for those with the pre-med sequence already under the belt.